Senior Director, End User Support Services
The Senior Director of Support Services is responsible for providing direct support and delivery of services to end users, including support delivered through the service desk and field support, managing stakeholder relationships across all service areas and providing operational project leadership.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Strategy and End User Services, the Senior Director is responsible for an organization with 80 staff supporting more than 30,000 users across the university. The Senior Director is responsible for building and leading a values-based organization committed to a successful end-user experience for Harvard faculty, students and staff, who increasingly rely on technology to teach, learn, research and work. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with an open and collaborative style who fosters teamwork, sustains a learning environment for staff, and develops an open, engaged culture that engenders trust from the University community and Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) employees alike.
- Directly or indirectly manage a team of up to 80 staff and mission critical service offerings, including service desk and desktop support. Foster a culture that promotes collaboration, innovation and excellence in performance.
- Plan, prioritize and lead support-related projects that have significant impact on the management of the business, including systems integration and installation initiatives, partnering across HUIT and Harvard. Responsible for vendor management.
- Develops service strategy to enhance support and explore and implement new services, providing ongoing support for these services, and transitioning these services into the service organization. The role will plan out the financial impact in partnership with the Managing Director.
- Establishes strong partnership and builds strategic alliances with business contacts and IT stakeholders across the University to ensure that community needs are understood and met. Negotiate and influence across schools, departments and IT groups. Communicates complex ideas to leadership that may not understand the technology.
- Establishes strong relationship with End User Architecture and Engineering and HUIT Information Security. Works with the EU A&E team to build secure and security standards-compliant solutions.
- Respond to sensitive security incidents with significant impact and confidentiality. Escalate security incidents directly to Security Operations within the Information Security team.
- Responds to operations issues with appropriate energy and organization. Leads incident response to resolution. Effectively communicates to Harvard and HUIT Senior Leadership activity associated with operations issues. Coordinates after-incident response.
Basic Qualifications are the minimum threshold a candidate must meetin order tobe considered for this role
- BS/BA required or equivalent experience
- 10+ years related experience including demonstrated experience developing and managing relationships in a large, diverse organization
- Leadership experience across a complex organization with multiple layers of stakeholders, encompassing strategic planning, project planning, visioning, and process transformation.
- Progressively responsible management experience
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Experience implementing enterprise solutions, standards and tools; proven success at providing and requiring high levels of service within an organization; demonstrated ability to manage a high degree of complexity in a context of distributed power and authority
- Excellent organizational change management and project management skills
- Executive-level written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Collaborative leadership style with ability to convert strategic goals into actionable objectives
- Commitment to foster and maintain mutually beneficial partnership as well as effectively listen and address the needs of multiple stakeholders
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department's current presence on campus.
If you accept our offer and join the team, your position will be based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will begin your work remotely. The remote nature of this job is only temporary, and all remote work must be performed within the United States. We currently expect that you will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Once the University and your supervisor determine that it is appropriate, you will be required to move your work location to the Cambridge campus or a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment.
Harvard University Information Technology is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard's Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We areunable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.Our mission is to assure Harvard's leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology.
HUIT's core values are:
ITAcademy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT's IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team.The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here:https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience asense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard's Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees.As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment:HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision:We offer a variety of excellent medicalplans,dental & vision plans.
Retirement:University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP):$40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union:Ouremployeescredit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs.https://huecu.org
Transportation:50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options:A variety ofprograms and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition,meditationand complimentary health services.
Accessto athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Harvard UniversityIT plays an important role in supporting Harvard's commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live withdisability.Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to requestaccommodationsor have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA - MA - Cambridge
384061 IT Manager
Strategy and End User Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.