Dining Room Service, Lead
- Oversees the function of the general service, checker, kitchen, pot and laundry employees while facilitating a team environment.
- Directs the work of employees as assigned
- Responsible for following the opening and closing procedures of the dining facility as assigned.
- Utilizing knowledge of food allergies/intolerances, directs students/guests to safe menued items and food storage areas such as refrigeration, freezer, and dry storage. Informs students/guests on foods to avoid by knowing the menu items and the ingredient listings or by referring them to the person in charge.
- Must ensure labels and signs are accurate, visible and properly displayed.
- Accountable for coverage of unexpected staff shortages.
- Responsible for unit keys while on duty.
- Responsible for assigned catering services.
- Supports all events as assigned to include but not limited to setup, execution and clean up.
- Troubleshoots issues, concerns and feedback received from students, guests and staff and reports back to the management team in a timely manner.
- Perform Checker's position as needed. Ensures cash handling and Micros and/or Blackboard operation meet HUDS standards.
- Responsible for the oversight of maintaining the cleanliness and sanitation of the serving lines, serving area, dining room, dish room, kitchen, pot and laundry areas.
- Must take and record temperatures of hot and cold foods and record in the log book during meal periods. Must decide on corrective action when needed and inform management of actions taken.
- Monitors serving lines during meals to ensure quality and quantity is suitable to provide for customer demand.
- Ensures presentation of food, cleanliness of food holding areas, appropriate serving utensils provided and clear, visible and accurate labels are properly displayed.
- Reports malfunctioning equipment to management in a timely manner.
- Recycles products per policy and procedure.
- Accurately fills out sanitation food service records as required. Informs person in charge when corrective action is needed.
- Follows sanitation standards in compliance with all regulatory agencies including Harvard Environmental Health and Safety regulations.
- Communicates effectively and works cooperatively and respectfully with a diverse set of staff, management team and guests.
- Complies with State of Massachusetts and Dining Services' "Food Employee Illness Policy".
- Represents HUDS to students, faculty, staff and guests in a positive and professional manner.
- Works to meet the mission and core values of Harvard University Dining Services with enthusiasm and a spirit of cooperation.
- Attends trainings as assigned.
- Maintains current certifications as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must have proficiency with the English language (speaking, reading and writing).
- Two+ years of experience in commercial food service or hospitality industry.
- ServSafe certification required within one year of employment.
- Must possess basic computer skills and have the ability to learn various business applications
- Must have basic math skills and ability to perform basic fiscal tasks. This includes, but is not limited to cash handling, analyzing digital and analog thermometers and other measuring devices.
- Must be knowledgeable of food allergies and intolerances.
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be neat in appearance and comply with proper dress code as designated by HUDS.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must have strong multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced diverse environment.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with a diverse set of staff, management and guests.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Supervisory experience.
- Previous experience working in a University environment preferred.
- Routine: must be able to lift 50 lbs. without restrictions.
- Continuous: standing, walking, lifting, manual dexterity, reaching, handling, bending.
- Frequent: push/pull, bending, ascending and descending stairs and ladders.
- Occasional: climbing, squatting, sitting, kneeling.
Emergency Status Designation: Essential
Note: This job description may vary or change based on the needs of the business.
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.Job Function
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Allston
230007 Dining Room Service, Lead
21 - Hotel, Rest Emp Int Loc 26
Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
This position has a flex schedule
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.