Under the general supervision of the Practice Manager and Chief of Radiology, performs a wide variety of x-ray procedures as prescribed by the HUHS providers.Job-Specific Responsibilities
Performs radiography exams in accordance with prescribed standards. Produces quality radiograph for radiologists' interpretation. Explains necessary preparations and positioning to patients. Maintains adequate records of patients and their studies. Provides radiation protection in accordance with customary safety standards, including ALARA. Reviews clinician order for accuracy. Prints images for patients on CDS when needed.
Quality Assurance/Quality Controls
Assists in meeting all standards for maintaining accreditation in radiography through daily quality control, on-going tracking of results, and preparation for site visits from the department of public health.
Safety and Infection Control
- Maintains infection control policies, follows prescribed procedures for universal precautions, disposal of hazardous waste, and maintenance of a clean environment.
- Understands the department and facility fire, safety and evacuation procedures.
Professional Workplace Accountability
- Participates in appropriate in-service and educational programs. Abides by department dress code and wears name pin and radiation tag at all times. Assumes responsibility for current, valid license, as well as ARRT registration and CPR certification. Adheres to all regulatory guidelines, e.g., OSHA, FDA, DPH, etc.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Submits safety events through PnC for potential safety issues, near misses, and errors affecting patients.
Age Specific Competencies
Provides care to pediatric patients through utilization of the following:
- Use firm, direct approach.
- Give one direction at a time.
- Use distraction technique.
- Prepare child prior to procedure.
- Emphasize aspects that require cooperation.
- Use additional person(s) for holding.
- Adjust conversational verbiage to that of the child.
- Use immobilization device during procedure. (toddler)
- Explains procedure, equipment using appropriate terminology.
- Prepare child to have some control.
- Involve child whenever possible.
- Provide privacy.
- Provides appropriate size lead shield for parent and patient.
- Allows parent to accompany child.
Provides care to the adolescent through utilization of the following:
- Supplement explanations with reasons for "why?"
- Encourage questions regarding fears.
- Allow adolescent to maintain control. Realize there may be resistance. Provide privacy.
- Ask females about possibility of pregnancy
- Provide lead shield.
Provides care to the geriatric patient through utilization of the following when appropriate:
- Speak distinctly due to loss of ability to discriminate sounds.
- Slow pace of presentation due to slowed cognitive functioning.
- Focus objectives directly in line of vision due to decreased visual acuity.
- Maintains a safe environment based upon physical and psychological function.
- Protect skin if necessary and use sponges or pads for comfort.
- Assist patient on/off table.
- Instruct patient on obtaining results.
Radiography room: Able to operate and recognize problems with the radiography unit.
- Adheres to the expectations and professional responsibilities of the department.
- Employs the standards, practices, and procedures of the department.
- Completes and complies with HUHS training requirements including HIPAA Privacy and Security.
- Reports non-compliance incidents to the supervisor, manager, and/or Compliance Officer.
Current Massachusetts Radiologic Technologist licenseAdditional Qualifications and Skills
Two years' experience with pediatric, adult, and geriatric patientsCertificates and Licenses
Massachusetts Radiologic Technologist license
USA - MA - Cambridge
403131 Radiologic Technologist Spclst
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.