The HUIT PMO Project Manager will play a vital role in coordinating and managing projects with critical impact to initiatives across the university. The position will sit within the HUIT Project Management Office and will join a group of seasoned project managers that oversees a portfolio of projects. The resource will be allocated to HUIT IT departments and to projects from other parts of the university to address complex, high-priority project management needs. This key role will lead a team of technologists, work with business partners across the university and interface with senior leadership in leading projects. The Project Manager will plan, conduct, and supervise the completion of complex information technology projects in a unit or department, requiring high levels of functional integration and involving multiple disciplines to be managed. The Project Manager will help to innovate and drive change. This role may manage a number of projects and/or programs simultaneously.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for assembling project team, assigning individual responsibilities, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of project
- Responsible for project discovery
- Serve as expert regarding scope and project objectives, solution's value and technology, as well as the role and function of each team member
- Ensure work completion within schedule, budgetary and design constraints
- Make decisions about analysis, design and testing; solve complex technical problems; and, when necessary, provide alternative methods for achieving goals
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to leverage resources for successful project completion
- Make independent decisions within the confines established by sponsors/business owners
- Serve as primary contact with user groups and stakeholders
- Leverage steering and executive committees for decision-making, change management, and communications
- Absorb and leverage project related technology to ensure effective project management and collaboration
- Advise unit/school regarding post project operations
- Provide training to clients/staff
- Apply Harvard University's IT technical standards and best practices
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT Code of Conduct
- Minimum of five years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- Prior experience in business analysis and change management
- Highly specialized knowledge of a specific technology
- Knowledge of advanced IT project management principles (e.g. Agile) and software
- Demonstrated cross-functional project management experience
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
- Skills and attitude that support an Agile working environment
- Demonstrated skill in fostering strong, collaborative relationships throughout all levels of the organization
- Organized, flexible and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work setting
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy Project Management Foundations course (or external equivalent) preferred
- PMP or other relevant certification and experience preferred, e.g., Scrum Master
Interview and onboarding activity for this position may be conducted via telephone & Zoom video conferencing, based on the department's current presence on campus.
If you accept our offer and join the team, your position will be based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you will begin your work remotely. The remote nature of this job is only temporary, and all remote work must be performed within the United States. We currently expect that you will work remotely until Fall, 2021. Once the University and your supervisor determine that it is appropriate, you will be required to move your work location to the Cambridge campus or a state in which Harvard is registered as an employer as a condition of continued employment.
Harvard University Information Technology is currently developing hybrid workplace models which actively support remote work (within a Harvard registered state) where business and team needs allow. Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/
Harvard continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety and wellbeing of its faculty, staff and students, as well as the wider community. Information and details can be found via Harvard's Coronavirus Workplace Policies website: https://hr.harvard.edu/corona-virus-workplace-policies.
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard's leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology.
HUIT's core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT's IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Harvard's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. Harvard aims to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that we each experience a sense of inclusion and belonging.
Harvard's Total Rewards Program is designed to attract, retain, and reward the performance of talented employees. As a Harvard staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, including:
Flexible work environment: HUIT supports flexible work arrangements where business needs allow.
Time off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union: Our employees credit union provides a complete line of services for all your financial needs. https://huecu.org
Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: A variety of programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Learn more: https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards
Harvard University IT plays an important role in supporting Harvard's commitment by seeking to create, procure and deploy technologies that are accessible to all, including and especially those who live with disability. Harvard welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
USA - MA - Cambridge
I0058P IT Project Manager IV
Strategy and End User Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.