External Relations Specialist
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
The College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at Cornell University is recognized internationally as a leader in public health, biomedical research, animal medicine, and veterinary medical education. Ranked among the top veterinary colleges in the nation by US News & World Report consistently since 2000, the college will continue to excel in providing education and advanced training that prepare veterinarians and scientists to serve society in critical roles in clinical and diagnostic veterinary medicine, public health, scientific inquiry, and public policy. The college strives to advance animal health through discovery-based research, the delivery of excellent clinical care, and continued vigilance against the spread of diseases. Additionally, clinical services provided in the Cornell University Hospital for Animals (CUHA, Ithaca), the Cornell University Veterinary Specialists (CUVS, Stanford, CT), and Cornell Ruffian Equine Specialists (CRES, Elmont, NY), as well as the Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC, Ithaca) are responsible for more than $40 million in annual revenue.
The External Relations Specialist will report directly to the Assistant Dean of Marketing & Communications and will be primarily responsible for strengthening and bringing greater visibility to the CVM brand by:
- Social Media/New Media: Develop and lead social and new media strategies that elevate CVM before a global audience; and create social media content and campaigns that elevates storytelling. Review emerging platforms that could extend the impact of marketing efforts of the college. Partner with University Relations' Office of New Media for best practices and issues management
- Digital Content: Assist in development of timely and accurate content for the CVM main website (vet.cornell.edu), including writing articles and collaborating on multi-media projects
- Media Relations: Lead media relations efforts with veterinary and related trade media; partner with University Relations' Media Relations team
- All communications (see above): Ensure all communication demonstrates our commitment to and encourages behaviors consistent with a culture of inclusion and diversity
- Brand architecture: Ensure clear, consistent alignment among university/college/unit identities
- Metrics: Track and analyze metrics (web, social media and media) and make recommendations to improve the impact of CVM external communications and marketing efforts
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or a related field with 3-5 years marketing and communications experience or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Expertise in social media outreach strategies and website management
- Demonstrated ability to write and produce engaging content
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects while meeting concurrent deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong and collaborative working relationships with key constituencies
- Strong creative, graphic design and new media skills
**Must be located within commutable distance to Ithaca, NY.
When applying through our system, please attach your application materials (Resume/Cover Letter/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format, preferably as one document. An attached cover letter is required to be considered for this posting. In the Experience section of your application, use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate. Please note: Cornell Employees must apply through the Internal Cornell Career site.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Relocation assistance will not be provided for this position.
Background check may be required.
University Job Title:
Communication Spec III
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.2021-07-19-07:00