STEM & Nursing/ Oxley Advisor
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
Reporting to the Dean of the Undergraduate College, the STEM & Nursing Advisor provides academic and advising support through the Oxley Integrated Advising Program. The Nursing, Science (s), Psychology, and Mathematics advisor will provide academic advisement to current students, incoming first-year students, and transfer students who major in Biology, Biology/Pharmacy, Biology/Occupational Therapy, Biology/Physical Therapy, Biology/Teacher Education, Biochemistry, Biochemistry/Pharmacy, Chemistry, Chemistry/Pharmacy, Chemistry/Teacher Education, General Science, Mathematics and Mathematics/Teacher Education, Nursing, and Psychology. The advisor will also participate in the Oxley Career Education Program and provide vocational counseling services to students in these programs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advisement to students at the College of Mount Saint Vincent who major in the STEM fields including assistance with registration, major selection, withdrawal from courses, leave of absences, withdrawal from the College, and graduate school selection.
- Advise new transfer students who have requested a STEM major and evaluate transcripts for students in these majors. Work with Admissions to develop a program to recruit new science and math transfer students.
- Design and deliver workshops on topics in the student wellness series such as stress management, time management, and study skills for students in the designated programs.
- Conduct Information sessions in careers related to the STEM field
- Assist with career instruction in the Oxley Discovery Seminar and the Oxley Discovery Internship.
- Refer students to the appropriate offices for counseling, financial assistance, etc.
- For Oxley advisees, perform such duties as Exit Interviews, Probation Advisement, Return from Leave of Absence advisement, change of Major and/or Minor, Add/Drop or Withdrawal from courses advisement and other advising tasks as needed
- Actively promote and support the college by participation in other campus-wide recruitment activities (i.e. Accepted Students Day, Orientation), public presentations, and serving on boards and committees.
- Support the College mission based on value-oriented education, rooted in the Catholic tradition.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Career Education, Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Math,
- Science or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional Computer Skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational, written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies and procedures to students and interact effectively with faculty and staff.
- Familiarity with Banner, Self-Service, and EAB Navigate a plus
All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references who can speak to your professional qualifications by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. Position will begin immediately.