Teaching Assistant- Nutrition Program
Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the nation’s leading academic institutions for natural medicine. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed practitioners and leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. Progressive graduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines are offered both on campus and online. The on-site Natural Care Center offers compassionate and affordable healthcare provided by clinical student interns in University Teaching Clinics and from highly skilled faculty practitioners. For staff and faculty, MUIH offers a collaborative and vibrant work environment that is mission and values-driven.
This position would assist a primary instructor in the teaching of a science-heavy online course, Physiology I, a core course in the master’s degree in nutrition and the master’s degree in clinical herbal medicine.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide timely responses to postings in discussion groups as needed.
- Grade course assignments and assessments as a first grader with the aid of grading rubrics, and provide grade recommendations to the faculty member.
- Be familiar with course content, organization, and assignments and explain these to students as needed.
- Answer student emails within 24 hours.
- Refer students to appropriate resources as needed.
- Promote active learning and student engagement in addition to answering students’ questions.
- Model effective online interaction for students.
- Spot, address, and inform the faculty member of retention issues such as a) students who continue to struggle academically in the course, b) students who have stopped participating, c) chronically late submission of course work, and d) administrative or financial problems routinely encountered by students.
- Review student activity daily during the week and at least one day on the weekend
MUIH reserves the right to assign and/or remove duties from any position at any time.
Education and Experience Qualifications
Required: Master’s degree in nutrition, science or related discipline
To apply: Please complete the online application by Wednesday, August 4 for best consideration.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.