The Desert Research Institute’s (DRI’s) Division of Atmospheric Sciences seeks a Staff or Assistant Research Scientist, Software Engineer to provide hardware, software, and internet support to the Western Regional Climate Center. This position is located in DRI’s Northern Nevada Science Center in Reno, NV and is intended to integrate ongoing research endeavors in DRI's Divisions and multi-disciplinary Centers, and will complement cross-disciplinary programs linking hydrology, agriculture, remote sensing, GIS, as well as cloud and high-performance computing. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for software programming, web interface development, and interactive data visualization.
WRCC delivers climate services for the western states including Alaska and Hawaii. The Climate Center Works with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) partners in the National Centers for Environmental Information, National Weather Service, the American Association of State Climatologists, the Regional Integrated Sciences and Assessments Program, and other NOAA Research Institutes. We also partner with the Department of Interior Southwest Climate Adaptation Science Center.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Experience with the following:
- Strong Test-Driven and Behavior-Driven Development skills.
- Experience using testing libraries and frameworks (e.g., Jest, Nightwatch, pytest).
- Ability to define and troubleshoot computer system problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and complete multiple projects/tasks in an efficient and timely manner meeting strict timelines, project deadlines and objectives.
- Proven ability to independently learn new skills and technologies and to keep abreast of new advances.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with members of a work unit.
- Experience with the Applied Climate Information System (ACIS).
- A strong background in mathematics, numerical methods and statistical methods related to data science.
- Experience with data storage and development.
- Experience with collecting, aggregating, and analyzing climate data.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience and education. DRI offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, an life insurance, 15.50% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, a beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the option to participate in a flexible spending account or health savings account. Additionally, there is no state income tax and no social security deduction. This position is eligible for relocation assistance