Assistant Front Office Manager - Statler Hotel
Located in the heart of a vibrant Ivy League campus, the Statler Hotel is part of Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration and is the gateway to Cornell University for many visitors. Inspired by curiosity, the humble spirit of Upstate New York, and the scenic beauty of the Finger Lakes region, the Hotel has earned the dual distinction as the area's only AAA Four Diamond Award-winning property and the Ivy League's only "teaching hotel." With 153 rooms, the Statler Hotel is a full-service property with a conference center, three restaurants and over 16,000 square feet of meeting and banquet facilities.
The School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University is the premier school for hospitality education in the world. As an integral part of the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, the school is leading the world in teaching and researching the business of hospitality-marketing, finance, real estate, operations, and more, all applied to the world's largest and most exciting industry. Top faculty, industry leaders, alumni, and students work together to generate new knowledge for the hospitality industry and form the premier network that shapes the industry every day.
Our Statler Family:
We are a team of hospitality professionals who proudly lead the premiere collegiate lifestyle hotel, welcoming the world to the cherished gathering place for those who love Cornell University. We challenge thinking, while connecting and cultivating people. Our actions are driven by a collective aspiration to build a culture of collaboration, celebration and excellence. Our mission is to provide uniquely crafted experiences through personalized connections that will inspire future leaders who will change the world of hospitality.
The Statler Hotel embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply to our opportunities.
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Your role as an Assistant Front Office Manager:
As a member of the Statler Hotel's Front Office Team & Rooms Division, you will share in the responsibility of the overall management of the front office operations including Bellstand/Valet, Reservations, Night Audit, PBX, and Front Desk. You will help drive the team to create warm, genuine, and personalized experiences from the moment guests come into contact with our reception area to their exit, while delivering a personalized level of service. Among your duties, you will:
- Assist with the administrative management duties, including: tip reporting and weekly payroll, meeting financial goals, conducting inventories and ordering supplies. You will have the opportunity to complete projects and participate in management meetings as well as serve on committees in the hotel, school, and University.
- Support the Front Office Manager in the recruiting, hiring, training and supervision of all staff. You will also participate in the teaching mission by providing coaching and mentoring to student employees of the Front Office and by cooperating with faculty and students as a part of classes or research that may be integrated into the operation.
- Serve as Manager-on-Duty (MOD) for the hotel, taking responsibility for the overall guest experience during their stay in the Statler Hotel and exercising discretion and independent judgment to ensure quality and service standards are met throughout the hotel. The MOD facilitates communication and cooperation between all operating departments, providing direction to staff, anticipating and responding to operational needs, maintaining inventory controls and overseeing cash handling procedures.
Cornell Employee Benefits:
This position is eligible for benefits. Cornell has been nationally recognized as an award-winning workplace for our health, wellbeing, sustainability and diversity initiatives. Cornell's key benefits include:
- Health Care - Several plan options for medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision care coverage.
- Generous Paid Time Off & Leave Provisions
- Retirement Plans - Statler Hotel Employees Eligible for 403(b) plan.
- Education - Options include the Employee Degree Program, taking classes to enrich your career skills, New York's 529 College Savings Program, and Cornell Children's Tuition Scholarship.
To explore the full range of Cornell Employee Benefits further follow the link: Cornell Benefits.
- Associate's Degree in Hospitality Management; 1-2 years of related experience in a Hotel Front Office environment.
- Proven ability to assume responsibility, exercise authority, and supervise a staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve guest problems quickly and calmly.
- Must be driven and energetic with excellent customer service, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Must be organized and able to multi-task.
- Professional demeanor fitting of a high end, four-diamond property.
- Ability and enthusiasm to coach, mentor, and train students as well as other inexperienced staff.
- Must be willing to work holidays, weekends, evenings and be flexible with a varied work schedule.
- Bachelor's degree
- Computer skills helpful, hospitality computer system is preferred.
Please make sure to include your resume when you apply. We also highly encourage you to include a cover letter with your submission for us to better understand your interest in applying.
University Job Title:Guest/Client Services Supervisor II
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Leanna Caloras
Number of Openings:0
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.2021-07-16-07:00