Assistant Director for Residence Life
Wells College seeks qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director for Residence Life. The Assistant Director for Residence Life has primary responsibility for the Resident Advisors and implementation of a comprehensive residential program which supports the mission, values and goals of Wells College. Reporting to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, the Assistant Director is an integral member of the Student Affairs division, providing operational support for programs and services under a cross-functional team strategy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
The Resident Advisors Program:
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise 14-17 Resident Advisors (RA’s)
- Coordinate RA staffing, duty scheduling, and meet regularly with RA staff in a one-on-one setting and within weekly staff meetings to discuss performance, personal leadership development goals, their residents and any issues or concerns
- Provide conflict mediation among resident students
- Coordinate break housing services, including RA coverage
- Track and document roommate agreements for students in residence
- Track keys, lockout information and housing Contracts
Community Development & Support:
- Develop the residential learning program focused on student success and retention
- Create programming opportunities to build engagement among students
- Supervise RA's in their programmatic requirements which includes tracking all programs, managing receipts and the RA programming budget, and utilizing assessment
- Oversee processes for the repair of damages to individual rooms or common areas
- Advise first year and sophomore class officers and class committees
- Serve in the 24-hour on-call rotation, acting as a first responder when necessary
- Act as a conduct hearing officer and participate in administrative conduct meetings
- On-going policy review and revision in collaboration with Student Affairs staff
- Be present on-site at designated “high risk” campus events, such as dances and senior week
- Serve as a Title IX first responder when on duty and as Investigator when assigned
- Oversee RA check-in/check-out and opening/closing procedures as the supervisor of RA’s
- Perform other duties as assigned
Student Affairs Cross-Functional Team Member:
- Collaborate with Student Affairs staff in the development of student support strategies aimed at increasing student retention.
- Participate in new student orientation and other activities to aid in the transition to college.
- Respond to inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and parents.
- Serve on College committees and task forces, as assigned
Required Qualifications: Master’s in student personnel administration, higher education, or a related field. Minimum one-year experience in managing a residential learning program. Experience serving students from diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive relationships with students and student organizations. Effective verbal and written communication skills, computer skills, presentation and training skills.
* This position requires the staff member to live in the provided on-campus apartment. A meal plan is provided for the employee during the academic year when classes are in session.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous experience in Residence Life or Student Affairs.Experience in responding to incidents of sexual violence and compliance with Title IX.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted online at www.wells.edu/employment and include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. All materials submitted should be in PDF. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries can be made to: Charles Kenyon, Dean of Students, at 315.364.3311 or firstname.lastname@example.org