Administrative Support Assistant: DEI and Alumni
Job Number: REQ_0000015545
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Department of Geography, in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, invites applicants to apply for the Administrative Support Assistant 2 position. The final candidate will serve as front office support for the department's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) office and support alumni relations and outreach activities within the department.
The person in this position responds to the needs and requests of students and faculty with diverse backgrounds and identities who will benefit from educational equity expertise. This position will direct interactions with Geography alumni, which is a group of over 2,500 people. This position will be working with faculty, staff, and students at department, college, and university levels as well as alumni external to the university.
The responsibilities include:
- communication with this group on behalf of the Associate Head for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (AHDEI), maintaining AHDEI's calendar, and answering phone, mail, and email queries, and greeting customers for AHDEI
- coordination and scheduling of functions such as Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion seminars, workshops, and conferences; support planning and coordination for prospective underrepresented minority student visits; assist with organizing events such as Supporting Young Women in Geography (SYWIG) Day, and other DEI educational and recruiting events
- planning of meeting logistics and preparation of meeting agendas focused on DEI; maintains and updates program information materials and departmental website aspects related to DEI
- participation in DEI trainings and coordinates department members' completion of trainings
- coordination with Geography department staff on planning and implementing alumni relations and outreach activities; serves as liaison to Geography's Alumni Affiliate Program Group (APG)
- coordination of communications with Geography's Marketing Communications Specialist that target alumni
- coordination of recruitment for new student activities with Geography's Academic Adviser when alumni are involved
Experience using the following is a plus but not required: Starfish, Tassl, LionPath or other student information system, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
This position typically requires a high school diploma plus one year of work-related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated commitment to inclusionary practices that support diversity across the College, University, and Community is a plus.
To apply, please include both a cover letter and resume with your application.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.