Cyber Security Systems Engineer
Job Number: REQ_0000016485
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Information Technology Services Division is searching for Cyber Security Systems Engineer to join our Cybersecurity team at the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University. This individual will be part of a highly skilled team providing computer network defense to ARL resources.
- Assist in coordinating, designing, recommending, evaluating, and managing new and existing security services, controls, solutions, processes, and procedures
- Assist in the monitoring of ARL networks and timely response to all cybersecurity incidents
- Observe user activity, user requests, registry events, file system activity, and memory data that generate alerts or actionable tasks that are fed to the SIEM, or ticketing system
- Learn and apply system and network security principles in order to understand the execution of detection and response to Cybersecurity threats
- Work with senior team members to observe network analysis and network/packet level examination related to threat vectors associated with new or existing vulnerabilities
Typically requires and Associate's Degree or higher, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Required skills and experience include:
- Previous experience in a cybersecurity related role
Preferred skills and experience include:
- A Master's Degree in Information Technology or Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity certifications such as Security+
- NIST 800-171 or CMMC
You will be subject to a government security investigation, and you must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. This position will require a US Government security clearance.
ARL at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University center of excellence in defense science, systems, and technologies with a focus in naval missions and related areas.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.
The following background checks must be successfully completed for this position:
This position will require successful completion of standard background checks.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.