Director of Catering Operations
Job Number: REQ_0000016503
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to ensuring that diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the success of a world-class research institution. We are concerned uniquely with the institutional change required for visioning and realizing a more socially just university.
Seeking a Hospitality Services Manager 3 - Director of Catering Operations for the Bryce Jordan Center (BJC) Food & Beverage Department. The Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State University is the largest University operated civic, sports and entertainment venue, home of the Penn State Nittany Lions Men's Basketball team and Lady Lions Basketball team. Located in beautiful central Pennsylvania, a welcoming and engaged community diverse in population, social activities, nature, shopping, and education in a combined urban and rural environment. Under the general direction of the Food and Beverage Director, this position will create an exceptional customer experience for our 300,000+ thousand guests annually by producing outstanding food and guest service in all areas of the Bryce Jordan Center's Catering operations.
The Director of Catering will lead the Catering direction of the BJC Catering department. Create & implement new policies, procedures, and services for continued improvement in all aspects of Catering.
- Oversee all caterings and monitoring calendars from Catering software ensuring that all catering orders are met to the highest standards in quality and service. Meet with internal/external clients to plan catered events and write event orders using our Catering Software based on client expectations. Book and maintain calendars for catered events.
- Directly oversee all daily operations of catering outlets for the BJC and surrounding areas. Manage, hire, train, coach, supervise, schedule, and evaluate a staff of management staff, technical service employees, wage supervisors and wage catering attendants. Evaluate assigned employees and promote professional development. Other duties will be to take payment for goods/services rendered and maintain PCI compliance, order products (including rentals), organize spaces and keep appropriate levels of catering stock.
- Fiscally responsible for the department budget; review trends and make recommendations based on information/data. Work with Director of Food & Beverage to obtain financial goals by cost containment (Food Cost, Labor, and Supplies) and maximize revenue by promoting internal services.
- This position will manage communication between all departments according to business needs. Inspect all BJC Catering Operations, and other rented areas for event order accuracy before and/or during events and coordinating with Kitchen, Event & Operation personnel to accommodate all guest needs and requests.
- Creative and innovative catering solutions for all types of catering events in all BJC catering operations.
- Maintain University and departmental policies, procedures and services to students, staff and the public as required.
This job will be filled as a level 3 and requires a Bachelor's Degree and 4+ years of relevant experience. Professional written and verbal communication skills, ability to work under time and priority constraints, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion are required. NRA Serve Safe and RAMP Certifications or must acquire certification within six months of employment. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Days off and shifts will vary based on business needs. This leadership position is eligible for Penn State's full benefits package including optional health and retirement plans, vision and dental plans, generous vacation and sick leave policy, and a 75% tuition discount for employee and defined family members.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.