Biology Technician - Department of Ophthalmology
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applictions for a Biology Technician with the Department of Ophthalmology. This position will provide assistance to the Principal Investigator (PI) collect scientific data for research projects in Ophthalmology. This position responds to inquiries and resolves matters of relatively low complexity. Responsibilities require some basic decision making and resourcefulness within available guides and precedents. Work effort impacts client services, program and project image, with nominal liabilities.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Prepare and execute biomedical research in the laboratory.
- Maintains and genotypes animal colonies.
- Prepares reagent as needed by the lab staff.
- Process orders for laboratory supplies.
- Prepare solutions and materials for laboratory experiments.
- Assist PI and other investigators in the laboratory with their experiments, as needed.
- Keep detailed records of research data, written and computerized logs of mouse colony censuses, material safety data sheets, and chemical inventories.
- Document, analyze, and present experimental results and discuss findings.
- Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment.
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related science field;
- Six (6) months of relevant experience in a biological research laboratory setting;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication, time management, organizational, and self-motivation skills.
- Skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Knowledge of the use and preparation of cell culture media, aseptic technique, general microbiological procedures, and relevant molecular biology protocols.
- Knowledge of general laboratory terminology. Knowledge of medical terminology would be helpful.
- Ability to measure volumes and/or weights of chemicals, and apply mathematical concepts to calculate concentrations (in molar units) and prepare solutions according to precise specifications.
- Ability to operate general laboratory equipment (i.e. pH meter, scales, pipetmen, centrifuges, etc.) and the willingness and ability to learn new techniques, procedures, or protocols and apply them in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to gather, understand and implement technical protocols from current literature.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to maintain records and inventories.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to use tools including wrenches to perform assembly or standard mechanical repairs of laboratory equipment.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Jul 15, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes