Electrical/ Electronic Research and Development Engineer
Job Number: REQ_0000014902
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Electronics Systems Department within the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University is seeking a motivated and talented electrical or electronics engineer to join our team.
You will be part of a team that develops custom hardware and autonomous software and firmware running on platforms ranging from small embedded processor systems to very complex systems with network interconnected distributed processing and power. The successful candidate will be comfortable working on all engineering aspects from system design and documentation through prototype construction and testing. Occasional travel to support field testing and meetings will be required.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Design custom circuit boards and power electronics to support system functions
- Develop software/firmware that is tightly interfaced to hardware in an embedded system
- Debug and test hardware, software and firmware using unit integration and hardware-in-the-loop system tests
- Document designs, write specifications
- Proactively seek professional development opportunities
- Demonstrate and present to peers, management, sponsors, and stakeholders
- Support other members of the team.
This job will be filled as a level 2 or 3, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. Requires a Bachelor's degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline or higher and two years' or more related experience for a Level 2. Additional experience and/or education are required for higher level positions.
Additional Responsibilities of a Level 3 include:
- Manage Electrical/Electronic Engineering projects of small or moderate size
- Mentor and train employees int he development of technical, project, and business development skills
- Contribute to proposals, reports and presentations
Requirements of this position include:
- Specific domain knowledge in C/C++
- Experience in MATLAB, LabVIEW, VHDL or Verilog
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Preferred experience for this position includes:
- Skills specific to the Xilinx Vivado Development tools and Xilinx System on Module
- Object Oriented Design
Candidates selected will be subject to a government security investigation. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.