Post Doc Fellow - Department of Orthopaedics
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Post Doc Fellow in the Department of Orthopaedics. This fellowship will gain experience from multiple departments (Orthopaedics, Physiology and Pharmacology) and the Center for Inhalational Toxicology within the West Virginia University School of Medicine. This position is responsible for designing, organizing, and conducting highly specialized and advanced experiments using established scientific protocols and procedures. The Postdoctoral Fellow will advance Department of Defense (DoD)-funded inflammation research related to exposure to chemical agents and assist on other projects including research funded by the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association (AHA). In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for reporting findings and publishing results in research journals, assuming general responsibility for scientific operations of the laboratory and providing support and guidance to students and collaborating scientists that include several federal laboratories, universities, and industrial partners.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Will have experience in one or more of the following: animal research CITI certification (rodents), gas chromatography (including headspace)-mass spectrometry (QQQ), air sampling, animal imaging (e.g., near infrared imaging, thermal imaging, positron emission tomography), immunoassays, plethysmography, experience analyzing and interpreting genomic, proteomic and metabolomic data and models.
- Design and implement research protocols; design safety procedures and adapt new procedures, methods, or instrumentation relative to research procedures.
- Oversee in vivo sample research preparation, animal maintenance, and equipment maintenance; quality control analysis of reagents.
- Collect, prepare and analyze data; keep a detailed notebook summarizing experiments and recording research data; maintain computer database of research data; tabulate and display data for presentation in research conferences and for manuscript preparation; use graphics and statistical software to analyze and present data.
- Supervise other personnel in the laboratory to coordinate research efforts for increased efficiency; participate in training of students, residents, and volunteer workers as needed.
- While this position is fully funded, it is expected that the ideal candidate will contribute to grant writing and reporting as needed.
- Assist with ordering and procurement of supplies and equipment and with general maintenance of laboratory.
- PhD in a basic or health science.
- Relevant experience in a research environment.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Jul 15, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes