SARS-CoV-2 Post Doctoral Fellow - Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a SARS-CoV-2 Post Doctoral fellow in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology. The position will support COVID-19 vaccinology-immunology-related projects within the Vaccine Development Center (VDC) in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology. The position will perform daily operations related to different research projects and laboratory use, following prescribed protocols established in the laboratory. This may include performing experiments in murine models and handling mice or hamsters. Due to the required containment of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, will perform ABSL-3 protocol-based research in a high containment facility.
Within the VDC, you will focus on research projects involving COVID-19. Your skills will be employed on understanding the pathogenesis of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in both normal immune systems as well as immunocompromised, including type 2 diabetes, obesity, and geriatric animals. Studies will be performed in both mice and hamsters. You will be responsible for experimental design, implementation, regulator aspects, reporting, data analysis and project management. Additionally, you will be required to coordinate efforts across the team, as well as mentor student trainees.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Conducting novel vaccine or antibody therapeutic projects for SARS-CoV-2 for projects at the Vaccine Development Center and for projects that involve industry sponsors
- Conducting propagation of virus as well as plaque forming assays
- Conducting assay development for the Vaccine Development Center
- Conduct immunological studies to understand antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 infection and candidate vaccines.
- Conducting Molecular Biology Techniques.
- Conducting vaccinology research.
- Conducting animal challenge experiments.
- Conducting Immunological assays such as ELISA, and Flow Cytometry.
- Supporting routine laboratory operation, such as preparation of reagents and maintenance of animal colonies, cleaning and organization of the laboratory
- Assisting graduate and undergraduate students.
- Preparing manuscript and data presentations.
- PhD in microbiology, immunology, biology, or related science field;
- Experience performing related in vitro and in vivo experiments, propagation of virus, cellular and molecular research; or an equivalent amount of experience and/or education.
- Proficient in immunological techniques, such as ELISA, Multiplex Assays, ELISPOT, Flow Cytometry, as well as cellular and molecular biology techniques
- Skilled in viral propagation, plaque forming assays, and other viral assays
- Skilled in Molecular Biology
- Skilled in cell culture techniques
- Skilled in microbiological and immunological techniques.
- Ability to perform vaccine efficacy studies
- Ability to maintain animal colonies.
- Skilled to use scientific methods and rules to solve problems.
- Skilled at operating laboratory instrumentation.
- Skilled to identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail.
- Basic Knowledge of cell biology, molecular biology, and biology.
- Working knowledge of using laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory protocols, and procedures.
- Knowledge of animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, environment.
- Knowledge of uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Jul 15, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes