Sous Chef - The Commons
Kennesaw State University
Job ID: 230152
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Oversees daily operations, ensures quality food production and presentation to meet the standards as established by and under the guidance of department leadership. Supervises a team of lead cooks and kitchen personnel. Performs the duties of leadership in their absence.
- Ensures production and service of quality, consistent menu items that adhere to all culinary standards as set by University Dining
- Supervises and oversees assigned kitchen personnel with responsibility to support the activities of hiring, scheduling, performance management, annual reviews, and initiating employee status changes
- Trains and manages kitchen personnel, supervises and coordinates culinary activities
- Oversees daily food production and meal service
- Assists in recipe and menu development, creation of cycle menus, production forecasting and production schedules
- Ensures compliance with sanitation and safety requirements, ensures labeling requirements are met and compliance with allergen containment procedures
- Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment
- Supports all efforts to ensure the operation is managed to budget, to include food (COGS), labor costs and operating expenses
- Responsible for weekly inventory counts
- Coordinates and manages special projects, which include catering and special promotions and other responsibilities as assigned
- Participates in management team meetings
High School diploma or equivalent
Other Required Qualifications
Valid Food Service Sanitation Manager / ServSafe Certification Current, valid, and unrestricted Georgia driver's license
Three (3) years of related work experience to include at least one (1) year of supervisory or management experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Able to anticipate the needs of guests and team members alike
- Skilled culinary professional
- Requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations
- Ability to easily shift priorities when change or interruptions occur
- Able to deliver against tight deadlines
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong attention to detail and follow-up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is a supervisory position.
This position has financial responsibilities.
Yes, this position will be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
Standard Enhanced + MVR
Per the University System of Georgia background check policy, all final candidates will be required to consent to a criminal background investigation. Final candidates may be asked to disclose criminal record history during the initial screening process and prior to a conditional offer of employment. Applicants for positions of trust with screening results which confirm a disqualifying criminal history will be immediately disqualified from employment eligibility.
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=230152&PostingSeq=1