Assistant Director of Creative Content & Operations - Women's Basketball
The department of Athletics at West Virginia Universityis seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Creative Content and Operations for Women's Basketball. This positionis a hybrid role that will develop creative content to be used on all the WVU women's basketball social media and assist the daily operations of the WVU women's basketball program.
Creative Content: This position will work closely with the Women's Basketball Video Coordinator to coordinate video shoots with direct responsibility for the creative strategy, storyboarding, and editing. Additionally, the Assistant Director of Creative Content & Operations will be responsible for executing the visual brand of WVU Women's Basketball through photography and videography while working closely with WVU Athletics' video producers, graphic designers, and social media managers to ensure the execution of this brand.
Reporting to the Director of Basketball Operations, the Assistant Director of Creative Content & Operations works to further WVU Athletics' mission to win conference and national championships, provide a first-class student-athlete experience, serve as a source of pride for the University and community, and cultivate graduates who excel as leaders.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Foster an environment that promotes the well-being and personal development of women's basketball student-athletes, in accordance with NCAA Bylaw 11.7.3.
- 11.7.3 - Non-coaching Staff Member with Sport-Specific Responsibilities. A non-coaching staff member with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g. director of operations, administrative assistant) is prohibited from participating in on-court or on-field activities (e.g., assist with drills, throw batting practice, signal plays) and is prohibited from participating with or observing student-athletes in the staff member's sport who are engaged in non-organized voluntary athletically related activities (e.g., pick-up games).
- Serve as the main liaison from the WVU women's basketball staff to the athletics department digital media and communications staff. Duties include but are not limited to working with the women's basketball digital media, marketing and sports information directors to coordinate and develop the program's digital and social media strategy.
- Serve as lead content creator for West Virginia University's women's basketball social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms, including posting to the social media accounts, creating digital media assets, researching content, and more.
- Collaborate with athletics content creators in producing creative video and to develop a consistent look across all social media platforms
- Grow and expand the women's basketball team's social media presence into new and emerging social media platforms, and increase its presence on existing platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Manage and facilitate content capture and distribution to women's basketball student-athletes, coaches and staff. (i.e. INFLCR)
- Organize community outreach activities.
- Assist with the outreach coordination involving alumni, Hoops and Heels, Carey's Crew and season-ticket base.
- Function as a community liaison for appearances and speaking appearances on behalf of the women's basketball program and coaching staff.
- Design and distribute recruiting documentation.
- Assist with the coordination of on-campus recruiting activities.
- Attend all practices and competitions.
- Provide support and assist the Director of Basketball Operations with duties, including, but not limited to, on-campus recruiting, summer camp coordination, student-athlete meal and housing coordination and practice scheduling.
- Establish and maintain an environment conducive to the welfare and academic success of the student-athletes.
- Establish and maintain effective interactions with students, colleagues, university staff and administrators, alumni and the public.
- Report directly to Director of Basketball Operations / Assistant to the Head Coach; must also work closely with all others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Basketball Operations and/or Head Women's Basketball Coach.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Exhibit a level of expertise in professional field.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial and ethnical differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and constituencies; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to be handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work, regular travel in-season and on-call availability.
- Faithfully and diligently execute related duties of the department, as requested or assigned by the Head Women's Basketball Coach or his designee.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Two (2) years of experienceworking in athletics administration or collegiate basketball environment, preferably at the Division I level.
- Experience as a graduate assistant or elite playing experience is acceptable.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines, policies, rules and regulations with the ability to interpret, apply, enforce and explain such policies and rules
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. student-athletes, professional representatives, fans, media, donors, University community
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing)
- Demonstrated knowledge of effected areas of involvement
- Ability to make administrative / procedural decisions and judgments
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Cloud, including Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Lightroom
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jul 15, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes