- Prepares and cooks menu items according to proper preparation methods in small batches or otherwise required by business needs.
- Reads and follows standardized recipes. Delegates production of menu items to culinary team in respectful manner.
- Tastes and evaluates all food before service to ensure food quality standards are met, consults manager with any concerns.
- Assists Culinary Team in the preparation and presentation of catered functions, may take the lead on events, while working under the guidelines of Second Cook and/or the Manager-in-Charge
- Ensures kitchen is properly stocked with items needed for meals. May need to provide written requisitions or provide direction to Storekeeper.
- Instructs kitchen personnel in proper usage of all standard kitchen equipment.
- Where appropriate, assists with on-the-job training for Assistant Cook, Short Order Cook, Grill Cook and Kitchenperson/Chef's Helper.
- Fries, grills, sautes, roasts, bakes, braises and steams food products as directed.
- Heats soups, sauces and prepared products ensuring product has reached appropriate temperature before serving.
- Carves or slices meat for service both in back-of-house setting and at carving stations in front-ofhouse setting when necessary.
- Demonstrates a "Clean as you go" philosophy maintaining sanitary and organized work space and equipment
- Leaves work station clean and re-stocked.Recycles products per policy and procedure.
- Accurately records portion amount of food used during meals on service records.
- Cools, refrigerates, labels and properly stores food according to HACCP procedures.
- Accurately fills out sanitation and temperature logs and food service records as required. Informs person in charge when corrective action is needed.
- Follows sanitation standards in compliance with all regulatory agencies including Harvard
Environmental Health and Safety regulations.
- Communicates effectively and works cooperatively and respectfully with a diverse set of staff, management team and guests
- Complies with State of Massachusetts and Dining Services' "Food Employee Illness Policy".
- Represents HUDS to students, faculty, staff and guests in a positive and professional manner.
- Works to meet the mission and core values of Harvard University Dining Services with enthusiasm and a spirit of cooperation.
- Attends all trainings as assigned.
- Maintains current certifications as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must have proficiency with the English language (speaking, reading and writing) - Minimum four years of related food preparation experience in hospitality industry.
- Some related supervisory experience.
- Experience working with large volume cook-chill process and commissary production. (CSG)
- Experience working in a high-end off-site catering environment. (Catering)
- Must have culinary ability to execute recipes with the technical understanding of all cooking methods and ensure culinary team is also executing recipes accurately.
- Must have knife skills necessary to perform the job.
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be neat in appearance and comply with proper dress code as designated by HUDS.
- Must have proficiency with kitchen tools and equipment without restrictions.
- Must have basic math skills and ability to analyze digital and analog thermometers, scales, and other measuring devices.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must have strong multi-tasking skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with a diverse set of staff, management and guests.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced diverse environment
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Culinary Arts degree preferred.
- ServSafe certification required within one year of employment.
- Previous experience working in a University environment preferred.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 lbs. without restrictions
- Continuous: standing, manual dexterity, reaching, walking, lifting, handling
- Frequent: push/pull, bending
- Occasional: climbing, squatting, sitting
Emergency Status Designation: Essential
Note: This job description may vary or change based on the needs of the business.
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.Job Function
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Allston
230010 Cook, General
21 - Hotel, Rest Emp Int Loc 26
Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
Flexible schedule Monday-Friday/ 40 hours per week
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.