Linux System Administrator
SBGrid Consortium at Harvard Medical School in Boston MA is in need of a full-time, potentially remote, Linux System Administrator to support our structural biology and software curation environments.
The Linux System Administrator will join a world-class technical team and work closely with technical peers to analyze system level impacts, provide consultation, and recommend approaches for production readiness. Your role will include the design and implementation of IT application infrastructure with a daily focus on a combination of IT infrastructure projects and on-going support and operations. You will participate in monthly production releases of application and infrastructure and provide off-hours support when required.
Designs, implements and administers Linux-based, enterprise-class application infrastructure.
Manages application infrastructure, performing upgrades or improvements while adhering to technical or budgetary constraints.
Drives automation, efficiency, scalability, and reliability of systems and applications.
Collaborates with technical teams and other staff to analyze system level impacts, provide consultation, and recommend approaches for production readiness.
Defines configuration specifications for new systems given application, business, and technical requirements.
Proactively monitors and measures application, OS, network and hardware performance, and makes recommendations on correcting bottlenecks in systems performance.
Manages storage environments and administers enterprise backup solutions.
Creates and modifies scripts or applications to perform tasks.
Provides infrastructure support and triages for mission-critical enterprise applications.
Troubleshoots and resolves system issues and creates Root Cause Analysis documentation
Provides back-up for other IT Operations team members, including off-hours assistance with application deployments and infrastructure upgrades and 24x7 on-call support for high severity issues
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Implement and support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve services
- Contribute ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
College Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a closely related field.
3+ years related experience in a professional environment, with progressive growth in responsibilities and independent action.
Experience with Linux, Solaris, VMware (preferred); server maintenance and backup process.
Experience with Shell scripting and programming languages (e.g. Perl, Python)
Strong attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple tasks; must be able to learn and retain a large body of systems knowledge.
Excellent communication and collaborative skills
Experience with software configuration and monitoring applications (e.g. Splunk, Puppet)
Experience in Storage administration, ZFS and Vxfs
Experience with datacenter and cloud system environments (preferred).
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments' business needs.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence.Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
We are committed to cultivating aninclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
USA - MA - Boston
I0757P Applications Professional III
Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
35 hours/week | Monday-Friday
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.