Library Research & Access Specialist
The Research & Access Specialist provides customer service and research assistance at the Information Desk and online via chat reference. In cooperation with library services staff and Reference Librarians provide an essential service to Springfield College supporting the Information Desk operations (including student worker hiring, training, and supervision); assisting in maintaining library collections (Reserves, ILLs, and print collection) and equipment (scanner/copiers); and interface with the Technical Solutions Center and Academic Success Center to troubleshoot issues and maintain Learning Commons service operations.
- Customer Service & Research Assistance: Provide customer service, research assistance and library services to the Springfield College community and a wide range of guests to the campus. Maintain Information Desk operations and cooperates with Public Safety and Facilities to provide a safe environment for students.
- Student Worker Support and Supervision: Hire, train, schedule and supervise Information Desk student workers.
- Research Technologies: Provide assistance in searching library discovery system, online databases and digital collections. Share responsibilities relating to circulation (Holds, ILLs and Reserves) and online chat reference services. Familiarity with LMS and other educational technologies.
- Library projects & Professional Development: Learn to use new library resources on a continuing basis to assist with library related projects. Attend workshops and webinars to enhance professional growth and improvement.
Appointment Months Per Year: 12 month
Posted Date: Jul 14, 2021
High school diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelor's degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Customer service experience with strong verbal and written communication skills to successfully interact with diverse Springfield College students, faculty and staff.
- Familiarity with Google suite and Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of library databases, library circulation systems and research technologies preferred to promote the full variety of library services.
- Excellent organizational skills and effective training methods.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities;
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information in a mature, professional manner.
This position requires regular holiday, weekend or evening work. As an essential service of the College, Library Services is open everyday including weekend hours. Research & Access Specialists and the students they supervise are central to providing these extended hours (over 100 hours a week) and also online via the Chat reference system (70-80 hours per week).
Springfield College is committed to enhancing diversity and equity in education and employment. To that end, the College welcomes candidates from all backgrounds and lived experiences, who will contribute to a culture of inclusion and respect. For more information about Springfield College's position on diversity and inclusion, please visit our Office of Inclusion and Community Engagement.
This position has been designated as forward facing and as such, the incumbent will be required to be immunized against COVID-19 on or before their first day of employment. Proof of vaccination status, or an attestation to the same effect, will be required. Individuals may seek ADA accommodations or a religious exemption, upon request with HR, but must do so prior to their arrival.