Assistant Director of Admissions, Hispanic and Latinx Recruitment
Faculty Rank: No
Provide Rank: N/A
Position Number: 082021
Department: Admissions - 240300
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in student counseling, communications, education, business or public relations, marketing, or other related fields from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience with and ability to operate independently, exercising independent judgment and discretion with little or no guidance, and to be able to make decisions on behalf of the Admissions Office and the University that are appropriate, timely, and defensible.
- Ability to work as a member of a diverse team.
- Willingness to work select evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Strong oral presentation and written communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Successful completion of a background investigation prior to employment.
Fluency in Spanish, both written and spoken is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Director of Admissions, Hispanic and Latinx Recruitment leads and assists in the coordination of Appalachian State University's recruitment of prospective undergraduate students. This individual will exercise decision-making ability to achieve student recruitment, outreach, admissions, and enrollment objectives. This position is responsible for strategic planning and recruitment activities within an assigned geo-market and responsible for achieving recruitment and enrollment goals within the assigned geo-market. The Assistant Director will have a strong understanding of tracking and reporting on recruitment goals and trends within his/her geo-market. The Assistant Director will act as one of the primary contacts for high schools and regional community colleges for Appalachian State University, with primary responsibility within a selected geo-market in North Carolina and selected out of state areas. This position represents Appalachian at high schools, community colleges, and other recruitment events on and off-campus and assists prospective students and their families in their transition to Appalachian by providing information and assistance on the admissions and financial aid process, academic programs, campus visitation, and housing. This position reports to the Senior Associate Director of Recruitment and works closely with the Senior Associate Director of Diversity Initiatives to ensure the effective recruitment of Hispanic/Latinx students.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Serving as a territory manager by planning, executing, and assessing all recruitment operations (on and off-campus) necessary to meet recruitment and enrollment goals within an assigned geo-market.
- Assisting with planning and/or implementation of general on and off-campus recruitment and yield events throughout the cycle.
- Traveling extensively to high schools and attend college fairs, college nights, receptions, and other programs in this region to recruit prospective students.
- Developing and strengthening ties with high school counselors, independent counselors, community college counselors, CBOs, alumni, and other key influencers in the recruitment process within the assigned geo-market.
- Conducting extensive outreach and relationship and conversation-building activities (via in-person communication, phone, email, written correspondence, and social media) with prospective students and their families throughout the recruitment funnel.
- Submitting territory management reports of recruitment and prospective student activity to the Senior Associate Director throughout the recruitment cycle.
- Reviewing and assessing student applications and supplemental materials and providing admission decision recommendations for applicants.
- Engaging in and/or leading other initiatives or tasks as assigned.
- Co-coordinating recruitment events for Hispanic/Latinx students and helping to ensure that all recruitment events are inclusive of these students.
- Engaging with Hispanic/Latinx groups on campus to improve the enrollment experience for future Hispanic/Latinx students.
- The Division of Enrollment Management is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse University community that is inclusive of all individuals and groups. Successful candidates will demonstrate leadership and innovation in advancing diversity and dedication to recruiting and serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities, and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive, and understanding ways.
Appointment Type: 1.0
Mon.- Fri., 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. (night and weekend travel during fall and spring travel seasons)
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: No
Suggested Salary Range: Starting Salary 38,500 (Commensurate on experience)
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position at a university, including the ability to lift boxes of travel materials (with or without reasonable accommodation), extensive travel during fall and spring travel seasons, ability to stand for long periods of time at college fairs.
Posting Date: 07/14/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 08/16/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
- Cover Letter
- List a minimum of 3 professional references on the application or attach a List of 3 References with Contact Information
Search Chair Email
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Quick Link