Research Assistant II
The Wyss Institute's mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de- risk new technologies that don't just succeed at making it to the market - they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don't fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word "challenging," and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to creating and commercializing novel approaches to global challenges in healthcare and sustainability. You want the freedom to explore, to push the boundaries of what is possible, and to use your ambition to tackle challenging projects in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment without a lot of administrative hurdles. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to create innovations that can change the world.
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Research Assistant II to join our team to work on cell biology and biomaterials research with a focus on immunology and drug delivery. Reporting to the Senior Staff Scientist, you will assist in research studies involving several state-of-the-art technologies such as biomaterial vaccines and drug delivery platforms. For more information, visit:
- https://wyss.harvard.edu/technology/regenerating-tissues-with-sustained-growth-factor- delivery/
What you'll do:
- Maintain mammalian cell cultures, especially immune cells
- Under the supervision of senior staff, assist in the development/synthesis of novel biomaterials for drug delivery
- Order supplies/consumables and maintain shared stocks
- Accurately and thoroughly document experimental observations and protocols and write/update standard operating procedures
- Assist with cell biological experiments under the supervision of senior staff
- Under the supervision of senior staff, help evaluate drug release profiles in vitro and in vivo
- Maintain tissue culture facilities, including daily maintenance of tissue culture equipment such as hoods, incubators, and water baths
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- College background in cell biology, biomedical engineering or related fields required.
- At least 1 year of experience involving aseptic mammalian cell culture required including endpoint analysis (ELISA, qPCR, western, or imaging) and/or drug delivery experience and material characterization (HPLC, Rheology, DLS, and NMR). Education may count towards years of experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Science such as Molecular Biology, Immunology, or equivalent professional experience preferred.
- Proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft software packages is essential.
- Strong organizational and communication skills to aid in interaction with multidisciplinary groups of biologists, engineers and technology innovators.
- Able to work in chemical and biological laboratory environments.
This position will be based on our campus inBoston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence.Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
This is a two year term position with the possibility of renewal. Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you'll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you're a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent communityto stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.Job Function
USA - MA - Boston
403112 Research Assistant II Lab
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Monday through Friday, 9am - 5pmEEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.