Assistant Director for Program Operations, Professional Development Programs
As part of the Division of Continuing Education, the Professional Development Programs serve more than 3,200 managers and business professionals per year, through the high touchpoint delivery of nearly 130 two-to-five-day open enrollment on-campus programs and open enrollment hybrid and online offerings, as well as custom programs for organizations and corporate clients.
(https://professional.dce.harvard.edu/). In partnership with the Director, the Assistant Director for Program Operations position plays a critical role on the PDP leadership team primarily in the delivery of open enrollment offerings, with an eye to excellence in participant experience. This position also oversees third-party collaborations.
The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Director for Program Operations include, but are not limited to, the following:
Professional Development Program Delivery Management
Assist the Director with the overall strategic direction of program delivery as unit plans for growth.
Reviews and assess existing program delivery processes, creating new policies as needed, ensuring consistency, maximum efficiency, and smooth operation. Evaluates program delivery and identifies and evaluates participant experience success. Analyzes program content and materials with an experiential eye, as well as suggests and implements changes for continuous program improvement.
Plans, schedules, and coordinates the delivery of the annual open enrollment program portfolio of nearly 130 offerings, focusing on efficiencies and best practices for working with instructors and program materials. Leads a small growing team (currently one manager, two senior coordinators, three coordinators) to achieve maximum productivity and performance while upholding policies and standards and meeting departmental goals.
Responsible for overseeing documentation of all operations, and communicating decisions and outcomes to direct reports, the larger team, and leadership. This position is also the main point of escalation for participant-related challenges.
Faculty/Instructor Relationship Management
Manages instructor relationships related to program delivery leading up to programs and during programs. Works closely with instructors to ensure smooth implementation and vetting of new assessments and platforms and other materials for program use, while ensuring related processes are clear and sustainable for the delivery team.Conducts research projects and benchmarking related to program delivery and customer experience, and reports on findings.
Supports the implementation, use, and local maintenance of software platforms which support participant communication, registration, content engagement, and certificate administration.
Drafts/reviews key communication pieces. Keeps accurate records of work performed.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Design program content and materials, analyze program mapping and demand; recommend improvements
- Manage and review the assessment of new program proposals, curriculum, and new format designs
- Manage the development of marketing and sales outreach strategy; foster and maintain relationships with external clients to increase interest and participation in programs
- Manage program portfolio development which may include recommendation and implementation of enrollment processes, program scheduling, and grading processes; establish administrative workflows
- Develop strong working relationships with faculty, staff, and external clients associated with the program; manage scope of delivery and regularly inform stakeholders of program related activity and/or decisions
- Manage vendor relationships and contract negotiations for goods and services
- May manage program budget to achieve financial goals
- Report and analyze statistics to define and evaluate program success and track and comply with any reporting requirements
- Assist with the overall strategic direction of program delivery to improve programs and department processes, policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant work experience
- Experience working with faculty and/or event planning
- Knowledge of current trends in management topics, business education, and professional education preferred
- Strong faculty and program participant focus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with constituents
- First-rate analytical, organizational, problem-solving and project management skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience in program management and delivery, academic administration, or executive education preferred
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
In order to be considered for this role, a resume and cover letter must be submitted with application.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) comprises several entities serving about 30,000 students annually. The Harvard Extension School, the Harvard Summer School, the Harvard Professional Development Programs and the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement allow Harvard to serve the learning needs of students across their life. For more than a century, Harvard Extension School has made Harvard faculty and teaching accessible to a diverse community of local, national, and international students. Harvard Extension School enrolls approximately 17,000 students per year in approximately 46 graduate and undergraduate liberal arts and professional fields. More than 1,500 open enrollment courses are offered year-round with over 600 available online are offered at affordable prices to our communities across the world. Harvard Summer School offers approximately 450 courses on the Harvard Campus to 11,000 secondary school, college and adult learners and more than 30 international study abroad programs for up to 600 students each summer. The Division also includes the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement with approximately 550 active members and Harvard Professional Development Programs offering nearly 130 short noncredit programs to more than 3,200 participants annually.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence.Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Faculty & Student Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
S0657M FSS Exec Education Mgt III
Division of Continuing Education
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Monday-Friday, 9-5pm. This may vary depending on program commitments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.