Manager, Guest Experience and Staffing
Kennesaw State University
Conference and Events Administration
Job ID: 226041
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Plans, implements, and oversees programs and services related to guest experience and hospitality within the department. Closely advises and manages Night Owl, which creates learning-rich environments where students can gain hands-on experience in the sports, entertainment, and/or venue management fields. Oversight for recruitment, orientation, training, management, scheduling, and retention for assigned staff, students and/or volunteers. Oversees and guides marketing for the department including content creation, social media management, and sponsor coordination.
- Serves a critical role for the department by creating intentional learning rich environments where KSU students can gain hands-on experience in the sports, entertainment, and/or venue management fields
- Oversees and leads the recruitment, orientation, training, management, scheduling, and payroll approval for assigned staff, students and/or volunteers
- Oversees Guest Experience, Hospitality, TEAM (Training for Effective Alcohol Management) and Customer Service training for all areas
- Assists in the development and management of a comprehensive training program that meets industry standard for ushers, guest services and crowd managers
- Responsible for conducting guest service training for all student and part-time staff working at the venue regardless of their role
- Manages the assigned portion of the budget in regard to balancing staff costs to what is budgeted for each event and each fiscal year (for daily staffing) and may maintain use of the assigned Purchasing Card (P-Card)
- Works to help produce events including NCAA sporting events, professional soccer matches, corporate events, concert and festivals
- Serves as primary point of contact for all catering contracts following required protocols
- Oversees and leads marketing and social media efforts for the department and assigned venues, materials for internal and external events
- Oversees graphic design to ensure consistent messaging and adherence to brand guidelines; coordinates sponsor obligations and assists with website management
- Serves as Manager on Duty for small or medium sized events and will be prepared to speak to other areas of the venue including conversion, AV, and box office
- Requires attendance at industry workshops, conferences, seeking opportunities for students to represent KSU and Night Owl on regional and national level to further the mission of the university and department
- May supervise staff, student assistants and/or volunteers
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
Other Required Qualifications
Current, valid and unrestricted Georgia driver's license
Three (3) year of relevant work experience in guest services, crowd management and/or event management or related field.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Membership and service record with International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- Strong desire to educate and develop student leaders
- Familiar with all Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Suite, and EMS (Event Management Software)
Bachelor's Degree in Event and Venue Management, Sport Management, Communication or related field
- Experience creating and implementing training programs
- Experience in guest services, crowd management, event management, and large-scale environments
- Knowledge on crowd management best-practices
- Able to work all large events to oversee staff check-in, manage all front of house staff, develop and present event briefings, oversee premium areas, and coordinate hospitality needs
- Event and Venue management requires the ability to work long consecutive hours during events; night and weekend hours will be regularly expected
- Able to serve on various internal and external committees and interacts on a consistent basis with leadership within the Department of Event and Venue Management, event operations, clients, vendors, KSU students, student organizations, and the general public
- Able to present to large groups of people with clarity and confidence
- Able to speak in front of large groups
- Able to manage multiple projects at one time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, technology, organization, communication, and presentation
- Proficient with computer applications and programs (i.e., Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong attention to detail and strong organizational and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone etiquette
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is a supervisory position.
This position has financial responsibilities.
Yes, this position will be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position requires a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Credit + Education & DMV