Operations Manager, HLS
Campus Services Mission Statement:
To advance Harvard University's mission of teaching and research, we partner to provide stewardship, strategies, and services that create exceptional community experiences.
The Operations Manager is guided at all times by the mission, vision, and principles of Campus Services and instills a commitment to these values among all team members. The Operations Manager fosters a welcoming, supportive and diverse workforce and environment
At the direction of the Director / Associate Director of Custodial & Support Services, the Operations Manager oversees all day, evening, night and weekend coverage for FMO Custodial and Event Support operations in an area of campus that may include residential, research, athletic, and dining facilities; classrooms; and office spaces. The Operations Manager directly manages up to 10 Supervisors and indirectly manages approximately 90 - 120 non-exempt employees; interviews, hires, trains, motivates, and retains both exempt and non-exempt staff; provides corrective action as appropriate, in consultation with the Director / Associate Director and HR; approves all overtime (OT) and time-off requests; prepares performance evaluations and presents merit increase recommendations to Senior Leadership; and assures that the quality, quantity, and economy of custodial services provided conforms to Departmental, University, and governmental standards.
- Maintains daily contact with customer representatives (both electronic and face-to-face) to ensure optimal delivery of service, communication of activities, alignment of priorities, operational effectiveness, and the highest degree of customer satisfaction. Serves as the primary customer contact and coordinates information flow from customers(s) to crew operations.
- Optimizes customer feedback systems and measurement reports using the specialized work management database(s) to accurately reflect the effectiveness of cleaning programs and related services. Performs quality audit data for continuous improvement of operations, utilizes 3rd party resources as needed. Negotiates, prepares, and manages measurable service agreements with facility representatives to ensure customer satisfaction and departmental success.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Manages assigned custodial supervisors; establishes performance standards and measures for all crew employees and prepares regular employee performance evaluations for direct reports. Assists in the development and maintenance of standards for selecting candidates for all open supervisory and hourly positions. Serves as hearing officer in the first step of the custodial employee grievance process. Conducts minimum of weekly meetings with supervisors and quarterly meetings with all support staff to discuss issues, changes, procedures, policies, regulations, and other department activities.
- Implements and continually refines programs for training new employees and re-training existing employees in a variety of areas including environmental health and safety compliance, effective "green" cleaning procedures, and customer service skills. Liaises with the other Departments, including the Center for Workforce Development, to assist employees and managers who are seeking to further their education or career.
- Assists in the negotiation and management of contract agreements with vendors for effective procurement of materials, supplies, specialty services and supplemental labor. Adheres to all University and Department processes and protocols regarding the purchase of supplies and equipment.
- Prepares and submits statistical reports and analyses; prepares and submits capital equipment lists; oversees the preparation of weekly and monthly supervisor reports (e.g., operational, payroll, performance).
- Exercises and continuously refines the emergency response capacity of FMO Custodial Services, including contingency planning for: inclement weather conditions (snow, ice, wind, rain), building flooding, Blood-borne Pathogen or other biohazard cleanups, and other potential incidents as required.
- Works closely with the Director and Associate Director and the Campus Services business support staff to develop and administer annual operating budgets and plans for new business opportunities. Reviews unit financial performance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis and contributes to the development of detailed projection and financial management reports as requested. Works with client(s) to ensure smooth and accurate billing. Benchmarks FMO value and effectiveness against alternative service providers.
- Participates in Departmental management planning by presenting operational long- and short-term objectives to the Associate Director and Director; manages implementation of and adherence to Departmental goals and objectives.
- Conducts regular (weekly or daily if necessary) frequent inspections of scheduled work assignments to ensure effective performance of all cleaning and support services in accordance with established FMO Custodial standards. Follows up with supervisors to resolve issues and prevent recurrence; participates in safety and surveillance rounds as needed.
- Under the direction of the Director / Associate Director or equivalent Department's Compliance, Quality, Data, and Technology Manager, ensures compliance with all Departmental, University and governmental procedures, policies, and regulations among assigned supervisors and employees. Advises and collaborates with the Compliance, Quality, Data, and Technology Manager to identify and implement process improvements and initiatives across the Department to optimize operations and service delivery for clients.
- Ensures compliance with University payroll procedures among all assigned supervisors and work crews. Serve as payroll timekeeper for assigned supervisors and work crews. Maintains and authorizes the electronic (Maximo) payroll system. Utilizing the data from employee timecards system, the Operations Manager will analyze data and run reports to detect and address individual and group trends.
- HS Diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience as a supervisor or manager of an effective service group in a mid to large scale operation with high standards for customer care and occupant experience.
- College degree in business or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments Evidence of significant leadership ability with a willingness to serve as an active team member required.
- Excellent communication, analytical, organization and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects on deadline required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a team oriented, multi-cultural, customer-focused environment required.
- Experience with events support and management required.
- Understanding of Harvard's academic, administrative, and collective bargaining structures preferred.
Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and relational database applications required.
Preferred working knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian - Creole.
Must possess a valid driver's license and provide his/her personal vehicle to travel on and off campus as needed.Physical Requirements
Must be physically fit and mentally alert at all times. Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time, and access non-handicap accessible workspaces/areas as well as confined spaces. Must be able to walk up and down stairs, climb ladders, etc. and routinely walk between campus buildings/areas. Must be able to enter various types of buildings, industrial plants, and/or construction sites. Required to wear personal protective equipment where necessary. Must be physically able to perform and demonstrate all custodial duties required of his/her crews.Additional Information
Critical Operations Personnel (required to provide on-site support during emergency situations as determined by management).
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.Job Function
USA - MA - Cambridge
329058 Facilities & Oper Manager
Energy & Facilities
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.