Lead Laboratory Instruction Specialist
Located 36 miles east of Atlanta on Emory’s original campus in Oxford, Georgia, Oxford College invites applications for a full-time Lead Laboratory Instruction Specialist position working with faculty and students.
One of Emory University's four schools partnering in undergraduate education, Oxford College provides 950 first- and second-year students of high academic profile an intensive liberal-arts program for the first two years of their Emory bachelors degree. We're interested in candidates with a commitment to working with a remarkably diverse student body in an inclusive learning community. Applications from women and historically underrepresented minorities are particularly welcome.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO APPLICANTS: For further consideration of your application, please upload both a resume/CV AND a cover letter at the time of your submission. The cover letter should address how your qualifications are well suited for the job description.
The individual hired in this position will work collaboratively with and under supervision of the Biology department Director of Undergraduate Laboratories and Laboratory Coordinator to execute the responsibilities below:
- Assists biology and environmental science faculty in the teaching laboratory including benchwork, set up, organization, projects, and maintenance.
- Assists biology and environmental science faculty with field-based laboratories including management of transportation logistics for field trips and other support.
- Assists with maintenance of the greenhouse.
- Manages, supervises, and mentors student workers in a variety of capacities including laboratory safety training, benchwork, greenhouse, and other duties.
Additional duties may involve some or all of the following:
- Manages the lab instructional components for all courses in a designated department.
- May hire, train, and supervise student-workers.
- Advises faculty about the appropriate equipment and reagents needed for various experiments in particular courses.
- Ensures the availability of teaching materials, samples, specimens and equipment.
- Develops instructional methodologies, presents complex concepts and materials and responds to students' questions.
- Establishes laboratory safety standards in compliance with organizational and federal guidelines.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- A bachelor's degree in the biological or physical sciences or a related field.
- Three years of research or instructional experience in a science laboratory.
- Master’s degree in biology or related field with laboratory experience.
- Experience with undergraduate students
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent skills in organization, communication, and time management
- A critical thinker who is detail-oriented, creative, and has a passion for acquiring new skills.
NOTE: Position tasks are required to be performed in-person at an Emory University location; working remote is not an option. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee.