Counselor For Wellness Services 10 months
Assumption University, a Catholic institution sponsored by the Augustinians of the Assumption and rooted in the Catholic intellectual tradition, strives to form graduates known for critical intelligence, thoughtful citizenship and compassionate service. We pursue these ambitious goals through a curriculum grounded in the liberal arts and extending to the domain of professional studies. Enlivened by the Catholic affirmation of the harmony of faith and reason, we aim, by the pursuit of the truth, to transform the minds and hearts of students. An Equal Opportunity Employer. Assumption favors diversity, ecumenically welcomes all who share its goals, and strongly encourages applicants from underrepresented racial minorities to apply.
BASIC PURPOSE: Provides personal counseling services and services to students at-risk, including crisis intervention and student development programs in support of the mission of the University. As a Catholic and Assumptionist University, Assumption seeks a Counselor who understands and practices holistic care for the spiritual, social, and intellectual development of students.
- Provides individual counseling to students and provides mental health consultation services to faculty, administration, staff, and parents.
- Conducts outreach educational programs on mental health issues as requested and may serve as a classroom guest lecturer.
- Provides referral and liaison services with social services, mental health services, financial support agencies for students in need.
- Follows-up with students referred to outside providers for purpose of care, continuity of care, follow-up, and safety issues.
- Provides case review as needed in assisting staff to find solutions to difficult cases/referrals in coordination with campus administration.
- Monitors and follows up tracking of treatment compliance, missed appointments, cancellations along with necessary consultation with high risk students.
- Consults with faculty, staff and parents concerned about clients' mental health or safety issues.
- Facilitates transitions and continuity of care for complex cases.
- Knows procedures for mental health (voluntary/involuntary) hospitalization and maintains a relationship with mental health units at local hospitals.
- Provides on-going follow-up for students who are at risk for suicide/homicide to assure compliance and continuity of care until students are no longer deemed at-risk and/or until the student is referred to appropriate resources.
- Assists students in understanding and using their insurance benefits.
- Participates in the Center's research activities.
- Participates in an on-call rotation.
- Maintains professional and ethical counseling standards, including standards for counseling process notes.
- Maintains professional licenses and participates in continuing education.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to contribute actively to the mission of the University as well as show respect for the Catholic and Assumptionist identity of Assumption University.
- Master's degree in psychology or related field (licensed psychologist, LMHC or LICSW) required. 3-5 years experience in personal counseling required. Experience in a University counseling setting preferred.
- Expertise in crisis intervention required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality according to requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and University policy.
- Interacts on regular daily basis with students, faculty, administration, parents, and other outside professionals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Sitting, standing, walking, and bending are required of this position. Use of a computer keyboard and computer screen for periods of time with close vision and the ability to adjust visual focus plus manual dexterity are required.
MENTAL DEMANDS: The mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Examples of mental demands include reading (documents), detailed work, confidentiality, language, math, reasoning, oral communications, written communications, customer contact, multiple concurrent tasks, constant interruptions, and performing calculations when necessary.
Please be sure to submit your cover letter addressing qualifications for this position along with your resume.