Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police - University Police Department
The University Police Department at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Director of Public Safety/Cheif of Police.Reporting to the Vice President for Talent & Culture, this position serves as the Chief of Police for West Virginia University. This key role is responsible for the overall leadership, strategic planning and direction of a full service, 24/7 police organization.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate:
- Directs the operations of the West Virginia University Police Department including, but not limited to: patrol services, dispatch, Clery Act, crime prevention, community outreach and training, emergency response and preparedness, threat assessment, and event security.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, University policies, and Board of Governor rules and requirements.
- Develops collaborative relationships and acts as a liaison with University administrators and local, federal and state law enforcement agencies.
- Develops a community policing model that promotes positive engagement between UPD and the University community which includes all students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Oversees compilation of crime statistics, notification standards, campus emergency training, and other necessary components of the Clery Act.
- Oversees the operational, safety and security needs for WVU's regional campuses which includes West Virginia University Institute of Technology and Potomac State College.
- Establishes, implements and monitors the operating budget of UPD. Continually looks for ways to drive out costs while maintaining the safety and security of the University community. Plans for financial needs or surpluses resulting from changing responsibilities, state or federal regulations, workloads, etc.
- Establishes the size and makeup of the organization to manage full-service police and dispatch operations. Develops a supportive work environment that challenges employees to excel. Works closely with Human Resources to direct personnel activities including hiring, performance management, and strategic human capital efforts. Oversees the UPD Career Development Program for sworn officers.
- Serves as the chair of the University's threat assessment team.
- Knowledge of office administration, business operations, budgeting and control and reporting.
- Knowledge of technical matters and terms associated with law enforcement, parking/traffic, automotive maintenance, and special automated vehicle maintenance/operation.
- Ability to manage technical aspects of law enforcement and engineering matters as it relates to case management and capital projects.
- Knowledge of purchasing and inventory control practices.
- Must have the ability to direct and motivate a management staff of 5-6 individuals who in turn direct a total of 140-150 other individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship between diverse operating organizations.
- Ability to organize work and maintain schedules.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to cope with changing requirements, finances and goals (sometimes rapid changes).
- Ability to evaluate situations and recommend action and/or cost effective solutions. Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, and provide leadership in complex technical programs
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, public administration or a related law enforcement field.
- 10 years experience - Administration & management of a police department
- 5 years experience - Technical field experience in law enforcement
- Valid driver's license.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 8, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes