First Year Coordinator
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution in Milton Massachusetts. In addition to the main campus classes for adult learners are also offered at our campus at Cordage Park in historic Plymouth. Curry College is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Curry College offers 27 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as five graduate programs.
The Curry College mission is to educate and graduate students prepared to engage in successful careers and active citizenship with a global perspective. They are an inclusive community of diverse learners and educators, committed to continuing their legacy of developing effective communicators with reflective and critical thinking skills. They mentor and empower their students, building meaningful relationships that inspire them to achieve their ambitions.
Curry College provides rigorous and relevant academic programs to undergraduate and graduate students, and their rich blend of liberal arts and career-directed programs is enhanced by practical field experiences and co-curricular activities. Learning at Curry extends beyond the classroom and is embedded in all that they do.
Diversity and a culture of equity and inclusion among students, faculty and staff are crucial to the mission statement of Curry College.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sex identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable state and federal law, including Title IX.
Curry College is seeking an academic First-Year Coordinator in our General Education Program. The First Year Coordinator is directly responsible for GEN 1000: First Year Inquiry, our signature introductory, interdisciplinary seminar focused on inquiry in the liberal arts, and GEN 1001: Curry Launch, our required wellness-based transition to college course for incoming students. The First-Year Coordinator is a faculty position requiring 9-credits per year in teaching and 12 credits of release time for administrative work related to the first-year General Education program. In addition to the traditional Fall and Spring semesters, the FY Coordinator is also compensated for up to 13 weeks of administrative work over the Summer, Winter, and Spring breaks. Administrative duties include:
- Recruitment, training, and mentoring of faculty in the First Year Inquiry Seminar and the Curry Launch courses;
- Assessment and evaluation of First Year Inquiry Seminar and Curry Launch programs;
- Scheduling of First Year Inquiry Seminar and Curry Launch courses;
- Collaborate with academic support services and student affairs in the planning and execution of new student orientation, welcome weekend, and other new student programs;
- In collaboration with the GE Director, provide for development and leadership of the FYI and Curry Launch programs;
- Collaborating with the GE Director to assess courses in the FY Core of the General Education curriculum;
- Preparing budget requests and administering budget allocations in a cost-effective manner;
- Updating and uploading templates and content for FYI and Curry Launch using the Learning Management System and the training of FYI and Curry Launch faculty on the use of the LMS in their courses.
- A Ph.D. or terminal degree in a traditional liberal arts discipline;
- 2-3 years of academic leadership experience in a higher education setting;
- 3-5 years teaching experience in interdisciplinary or liberal arts courses;
- Experience in curriculum development and learning outcomes assessment;
- Experience in leading, developing, and assessing first year academic and co-curricular programs;
- High level of proficiency with Learning Management Systems, Curry College utilizes Canvas.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse faculty, Curry College will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
At the College's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Inquiries about the application of Title IX can be directed to the College's Title IX Coordinator, Rachel King at Rachel.email@example.com, (617) 979-3516, or King Academic Administration Building, 55 Atherton St, or US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights ("OCR") - Boston Office, 5 Post Office Square, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02109-3921, (617) 289-0111.
Please apply online at https://www.curry.edu/about-us/community-resources/employment/job-opportunities for consideration. Interested applicants must submit the following:
- a curriculum vitae;
- cover letter;
- a statement of your teaching philosophy;
- a statement of contributions to diversity (statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through teaching, research, professional activity and/or service);
- a copy of your unofficial transcript (an official transcript will be required upon acceptance of an offer of employment); and
- a list of three professional references, one of which must be a former or current supervisor, including complete contact information and professional titles.