Postdoctoral Fellow in Tropical Ecology and Global Change
School: Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Department/Area: Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to join Ben Taylor's Laboratory based at the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University. The Fellow will contribute to a grant-funded project developing study sites in Costa Rica using natural CO2 vents to understand tropical forest responses to elevated atmospheric CO2. The primary aim of the research is to understand how aboveground forest growth and belowground carbon and nutrient cycling in tropical forests change in response to elevated CO2 with the ultimate goal of improving predictions of tropical forest responses to future global change. The Fellow will work with collaborators at domestic and international academic and government institutions to census forest plots and take soil biogeochemical data adjacent to volcanic CO2 springs that fumigate the surrounding forest with elevated CO2. Depending on the skills and interest of the Fellow, this work could incorporate foci at scales from genes and enzymes to landscape-level remote sensing data.
A successful applicant would have:
- Ph.D. in ecology, biology, forestry, biogeochemistry or related fields
- Experience conducting field work (tropical field work preferred)
- A solid track record of scientific publications and international conference presentations
- One or more of the following skill sets: proficiency in R, Python, or equivalent analytical software; measuring and scaling forest biomass; soil and plant biogeochemical analysis; belowground root and microbial assessment; and/or ecosystem or Earth System modelling.
- Proficiency speaking Spanish encouraged (but not required)
Additional QualificationsApplication review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
- Cover letter outlining your interests and suitability for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Up to three examples of published papers
- Names and contact information of 3 references.
Dr. Benton Taylor
Contact Email: Benton.firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.