Adjunct Faculty, Herbal Medicine
Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the nation’s leading academic institutions for natural medicine. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed practitioners and leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. Progressive graduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines are offered both on campus and online. The on-site Natural Care Center offers compassionate and affordable healthcare provided by clinical student interns in University Teaching Clinics and from highly skilled faculty practitioners. For staff and faculty, MUIH offers a collaborative and vibrant work environment that is mission and values-driven.
The Herbal Medicine Department seeks a part-time adjunct faculty member to teach a Quality Assurance course for the MS in Herbal Product Design and Manufacture program, with delivery in Spring 2022. This course is delivered online and on-campus (hybrid format).
This course develops the ability of the student to identify and evaluate the authenticity and quality of raw herbal material using organoleptic analysis, microscopic and macroscopic identification, and interpretation of assay and specification sheets. Additionally, chromatographic analysis and dispensary practices are introduced.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Teach (including all responsibilities associated with teaching)
- Assess student learning outcomes
- Grade and review assignments
- Monitor student progress and grades
- Coach/advise students as required
- Participate in faculty meetings
- With the community culture in mind, employee will serve on committees as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Master’s in Herbal Medicine or related Master’s degree or above
- Demonstrated high level of competency and experience in Herbal Manufacturing GMP
- Be onsite for part of the course
- Experience teaching herbal product Quality Assurance to graduate students.
- Minimum of two years experience teaching in a postsecondary, academic institution
- Online course development and online teaching experience
Skills and Abilities
Proficient use of software and technology related to creating and maintaining teaching materials, such as Word and PowerPoint, and use of online Learning Management Systems.
Supervisory Responsibility: none
To apply: For best consideration, please complete the online application by June 23, 2021.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.