Finance Strategic Business Advisor - Strategic Initiatives (Remote)
The Finance Operations unit of Strategic Initiatives at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Finance Strategic Business Advisor (Finance & Business Administrator) position. The Finance Strategic Business Advisor (SBA) supports unit leadership in strategic financial planning and goal setting to enhance and promote growth within the unit. The Finance SBA provides a deep functional expertise in the areas of financial planning and budgeting, ensuring unit leadership maintains a knowledge of financial activities and expectations for the unit and can be confident about financial decisions made for the unit. The SBA frequently engages with the Division of Finance, Talent and Culture and teams in the Shared Service Center. This position manages functional projects and other initiatives. The SBA will stay informed on financial policy, plans and programs as well as state and other regulatory updates. The SBA will also provide Tier 3 inquiry support (phone, email, and chat) to employee/customers regarding unit specific financial policies, plans and processes. This position is responsible for building relationships within the college/school or unit(s) served and developing a culture centered on delivering excellent customer service.This position is 100% remote!
In order to be success in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Create annual budget for the unit(s) supported and submits it to the Budget Planning office in the Division of Finance
- Review variance budget reports with unit(s) leadership
- Develop quarterly forecasting for unit; shared quarterly forecast with leadership and the Division of Finance
- Develop quarterly unit-level financial reports and discusses them with unit leadership
- Identify appropriate funding for new hires and discusses hires with HR Partners
- Review monthly fund and DA reconciliation reports received from the shared services center
- Provide escalation support for transaction approvals
- Approve State, Research and Foundation PCard applications, large purchases and limit changes on PCards
- Approve requests for association membership dues, student awards/scholarships, Foundation backbills and expenses, direct vendor payments using Foundation funding, draws on Foundation-funded capital projects and requests for depository locations as defined by financial process maps
- Determine feasibility and initiates requests for new funds/DAs and changes to existing funds/DAs
- Review the chart of accounts and updates the Service Center on changes to how funds/DAs should be used
- Complete quarterly unrecorded assets and liability reports
- Review and signs quarterly representation letter
- Initiate cash transfers, internal loan requests, budget modifications, and capital project requests
- Review and provide justification for clearing accounts and negative cash balances beyond threshold
- Calculate and distribute returns to departments, staff, and faculty, such as Facilities and Administrative college or school distributions from the college/school to the departments
- Support and contribute to unit's operational goals
- Frequently engage with the Division of Finance, Talent and Culture, HR Partners, Shared Service leadership, and others to ensure complex questions are resolved
- Provide escalated inquiry support (phone, email, and chat/IM) to employees that have contacted the shared services regarding unit specific policies, plans and processes
- Effectively use case management and knowledgebase tools to resolve, log, track and escalate employee inquiries escalated to the unit
- Support and partners with the Division of Finance and Shared Service Center staff to develop information and training sessions on university financial policies and procedures and budget management techniques
- Maintain established service levels for handling calls, emails, and transactions. Strive to exceed service goals as defined by each unit's service level agreement with the Shared Service Center
- Understand and promote the service link between central units, the shared service center and the unit to ensure service goals defined as part of the service level agreement are achieved
- Work closely with the Unit Leadership on special projects. Serve as a subject matter expert for unit on financial project teams
- Ensure project activities are planned and prioritized appropriately balancing project and ongoing support needs with project leaders, cross functionally as needed
- As a subject matter expert, influence project decision where appropriate, to improve the customer experience and/or improve efficiency
- Ensure project deliverables are delivered on time and are documented
WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes related experience and education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.
WVU offers a comprehensive benefits package, 12 paid holidays and generous paid time off, as well as many other discounts and services. Learn more about available benefits at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/benefits-and-compensation.Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required, or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience may be considered
- CPA or Master's degree in Business Administration, or a related field preferred
- At least three (3) years of related professional-level work experience in finance, accounting, and/or fiscal management
- Experience using a financial ERP, e.g. Oracle
- Established expertise in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to inspire team work and collaboration across functional areas
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgement to resolve budgeting and other financial issues and determine the appropriate course of action to resolve a customer issue.
- Possesses strong customer service and communication skills typically acquired through prior work in a customer service setting.
- Demonstrated ability to research and apply critical thinking skills to resolve complex issues related to financial projections and budgeting.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with other service team members in the unit, central Finance, Talent and Culture and the Shared Service Center other campus.
- Ability to identify and address areas of continuous improvement.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Microsoft Office Professional software, especially Word, Excel, Access PowerPoint and Visio.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Schedule: Full-time