Director of Course Development and Training
Fort Collins, CO
Research Professional Position: No
Posting Number: 202100577AP
Position Type: Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Number of Vacancies: 1
Work Hours/Week: 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range
Colorado State University (CSU) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU's Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas. https://hr.colostate.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2021/01/benefits-summary-afap.pdf.Desired Start Date
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on
Description of Work Unit
CSU Online, Division of Continuing Education, is a self-supporting unit that develops and delivers quality programs and educational opportunities in support of the University's land grant mission. CSU Online provides affordable access to a quality education from wherever students call home around the nation and the world, on a schedule that fits their lives. CSU Online offers more than 40 degrees, online and at a distance, as well as credit and noncredit courses, certificate programs, and digital badges.Position Summary
Making education accessible. Everyone at Colorado State University Online works to fulfill the land grant mission of the university. We work as a team to serve students, and one of the ways we do that is by providing rich learning experiences that connect faculty and students through online educational programs. This individual will have direct responsibility for ensuring the quality and standards of all online offerings at CSU Extended Campus and will have the in-depth knowledge and understanding of online course development processes. The Director of Course Development and Training will work with other leaders of this workgroup and campus stakeholders to create engaging online courses that draw on QM principles and leverage the appropriate pedagogical approaches and educational technologies.
While managing the day-to-day responsibilities associated with course development and faculty training, the Director will work closely with department and college stakeholders. The Director will liaise with the rest of the CSU Extended Campus leadership team to understand how course development activity integrates with other key functions or priorities in CSU Extended Campus. Additionally, the Director of Course Development and Training will be the CSU Extended Campus representative to the larger Instructional Design community at CSU.
The Director of Course Development and Training will report directly to the Executive Director of CSU Online and will join a team that works collaboratively to support the teaching and learning mission of the University.
This leadership position is on-site (Fort Collins).Required Job Qualifications
- Master's degree in instructional design, curriculum and instruction, educational technology, instructional systems, education, or a closely related field by the time of hire.
- Experience supervising a course production team or instructional design team or commensurate supervisory and management experience of direct reports
- At least three (3) years of work experience in the field of instructional design or course development at the time of hire
- Experience developing instructional materials for learning management systems (e.g., Canvas) for the delivery of online instruction
- Strong understanding of instructional design principles, adult learning theory and instructional technology
- Demonstrated experience incorporating online curriculum standards into instructional design practices (e.g., Quality Matters, Quality Scorecard)
- Experience designing and maintaining instructional materials and guidelines for face-to-face and online workshops targeted to faculty and staff focused on quality assurance standards and best practices in online course design
- Experience with project management software (SmartSheets, Quickbase, Asana, etc)
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply universal design for learning, and accessibility standards for online learning environments, as well as familiarity with assistive technologies used with course design, development and delivery.
- Familiarity with copyright laws and creative commons and how they pertain to courses
- Experience with project management concepts and principles: creating milestones, addressing blocking issues, setting deadlines, and tracking project outcomes
- Familiarity with processes relevant to the development of course curricula and instructional materials for credit and non-credit courses (digital badges, microlearning, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)).
- Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience completing quality reviews of online courses for programs, certificates or other digital learning objects
- Certifications in Quality Matters (Quality Matters Coordinator, APPQMR facilitation, and/or Peer Review Coordinator)
- Demonstrated understanding of the higher education environment and experience working successfully with university faculty/subject matter experts.
- Familiarity with FERPA related to online learning technologies.
- Familiarity using a ticketing system (e.g. FreshService, Jira, etc.)
- Experience developing online courses and assets using authoring tools (e.g., Adobe Captivate, Articulate 360, Articulate Storyline, Articulate Rise, etc.)
- Familiarity with video production, editing, and digitization hardware
- Experience managing 3rd-party or contracted work.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as an individual contributor and member of a multiple internal and external teams and organizations
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, work independently, and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
Personal or professional commitment to diversity and inclusion as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity and inclusion outcomes.Job Duty Category: Course Development
- Work collaboratively with instructors (including faculty, professional staff, graduate teaching assistants, and subject matter experts) to design blended and fully online courses (credit, non-credit, and digital badging/certification); to develop print and digital course materials; to ensure the timely development of accessible instructional materials; and to design and apply assessment procedures and instruments.
- Provide one-on-one and group training to faculty and graduate students for using the Canvas learning management system, as well as other teaching technologies.
Job Duty Category: Quality Assurance Coordination and Training
- Designing and maintaining instructional materials and guidelines for current best practices and quality assurance standards for online courses, MOOCs, and digital credentials
- Providing individual, group, online training and workshops targeted to faculty and staff focused on quality assurance standards.
- Coordinating and completing quality reviews of online courses and provide recommendations to meet minimum quality standards
- Implementing quality assurance program (Quality Matters) including creating documentation, communication strategies, and data tracking
Job Duty Category: Manage Course Development Team
- Serve as point of contact for Course Developers and selected contracted staff.
- Provide support and mentoring for course developers and peer instructional designers including internal trainings, documentation, and internal course reviews
Job Duty Category: Faculty/Graduate Teaching Support
- Facilitate online and in-person professional development for faculty, staff, and graduate assistants
- Provide follow-up assistance and support to instructors as they incorporate new curricula and materials into their courses.
- Provide support for peer instructional designers.
- Other duties and committee work as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter which addresses how professional experiences align with identified required and preferred qualifications of the position, a current resume. Reference checks will be conducted through and online system called SkillSurvey. If you advance to the reference check stage, you will be asked to provide contact information for five references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Erin Thompson, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Acting Title IX Coordinator is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO. 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.Minimum References Requested
Maximum References Requested