The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute/VT is seeking a Systems Administrator. The incumbent will be part of an IT team whose chief objective is to ensure continuous and secure operations of FBRI's network, systems and delivered services. The incumbent will play a key role in the implementation of services, data integrity, recoverability and security of the environment. This will include actively participating in day-to-day proactive management and administration tasks. The incumbent will have ownership and/or participation in various projects as assigned, and the adherence to established equipment inventory and surplus procedures.
The incumbent will use industry established best-practices and standards to make their administration more effective and more efficient. He or she will be responsible for all facets of system administration design, documentation, implementation, capacity planning, monitoring, troubleshooting, and standards. Incumbent will support enterprise applications in a scientific research environment and manage IT policies and procedures in collaboration with the IT Director. Performs other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will utilize communication, presentation and problem-solving skills. The candidate must be able to identify highly complex problems, investigate them, address them, and learn from them. The successful candidate will have excellent customer service skills to work collaboratively and effectively with faculty, staff, students, and sponsors. They must be energetic and able to function effectively and independently in a fast-moving environment subject to external pressure and frequent interruptions with an ability of training users in applications and operating system.
- Bachelor's degree in IT, computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Active Directory including advanced administration, configuration, and Group Policy.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with desktop operating systems including Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and Linux (RHEL preferred).
- Advanced knowledge and experience with workstation security, host-based firewalls, and security best practices.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with account administration and management in a cross-platform environment.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft server products, systems management, and administration.
- Experience and real-world examples of scripting languages such as PowerShell, pearl, bash scripting, etc.
- Experience with virtualization concepts, hypervisors, and tools with focus on VMWare technologies.
- Experience with server class systems architecture, configuration, and maintenance.
- Experience with common open-source projects and community environments.
- Experience with enterprise-level backup, recovery, and archiving technologies.
- Experience with task automation and wholistic management of enterprise workstation environments.
- Understanding of the OSI model for computer network environments.
- Knowledge of underlying protocols of Active Directory and SSO components, including LDAP, Kerberos.
- Experience with database platforms (MS SQL, MariaDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL) in a scientific research environment.
- Experience and knowledge with systems architecture and redundancy in a multi-data center environment.
- High Performance Compute (HPC) Cluster experience.
- Experience and knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Pamela Stellat email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.