Supervisor Mountainlair Night Operations - Mountainlair
The Mountainlair within the Department of Student Life at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Supervisor Mountainlair Night Operations. This position directs and supervises the operations and administration of the Mountainlair Student Union during periods when the facility is in operation after 4:00 p.m. including weekends, holidays, and all special events taking place during each weekend at the Mountainlair which would demand supervision until their conclusion. The incumbent will determine daily priority of assigned tasks of Mountainlair student employees during these timeframes.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate:
- Inspects all evening, weekend, and holiday operational period activities for adherence to established facility utilization policies, work standards, and operational efficiency. Issues instructions and implements procedures as necessary to ensure compliance with University and Mountainlair directives and regulations.
- Develops, initiates, and evaluates effectiveness of evening, weekend, and holiday operations relative to improvement of all operational areas.
- Responsible for approximately 10 student employees' time and attendance schedules/approvals within the computerized payroll system.
- Ensures daytime staff is kept abreast of events and situations which occur during these timeframes through a system of daily reports and weekly meetings.
- Responsible for scheduling add-on events in the Mountainlair during the evening, weekend and holiday operational hours.
- Inspects and evaluates effectiveness and efficiency of night operations (including but not restricted to: Recreation Center and Information Desk). Makes on the spot corrections as necessary. Recommends alterations of operational methods to the Assistant Director for Building Operations.
- Serves as point of contact for Food Court Vendors, contractors, and facilities management personnel during the evenings, weekends, and on holidays.
- Manages any and all activities relating to special events occurring in the Mountainlair until their conclusion during the evening, weekend, and holiday operational hours. This includes, but is not limited to Mountaineer Week, Diwali, etc. Maintains an open channel of communication between students and the University.
- Handles student and other patron complaints and when appropriate or necessary, counsels' patrons concerning University and Mountainlair policies and regulations. Fosters appropriate student attitudes toward University regulations and the administration.
- Facilitate delivery of appropriate training and orientation materials to student employees of identified Mountainlair departments on the previously established procedures relevant to their employment in areas to include human resources, building operations and customer service.
- Interviews, hires, schedules, trains, and evaluates Night Operations Building Supervisors, Night Operations Assistant Supervisors, and WVUp All Night card swipers.
- Plans and conducts semester training for student staff and full time Mountainlair staff on Emergency Procedures, First Aid/CPR/AED, and other topics as needed or required.
- Provides support and assist student employee staff assigned to Information Center and Games Area operational areas during evening, weekend, and holiday periods in absence of area supervisors.
- Assists the Assistant Director with maintaining emergency response plans for the Mountainlair Student Union, and trains full-time and student staff on proper emergency procedures. Serves as liaison for emergency services personnel during evening, weekend, and holiday operations.
- Supervises the enforcement of rules and regulations, keeping order and preventing and investigating violations. Coordinates with the University Police Department and civil authorities concerning their responsibility for security measures and assists them in maintaining order. Takes action as required to safeguard the facility, equipment, life and property and the good order of the University. Makes on the spot corrections concerning building security to protect the facility, patrons, and employees against hazards of accident, fire, pilferage, and forms of disorderly conduct. Makes recommendations for the prevention of accidents and violations of order.
- Provides change distribution to Games Area as needed.
- Attends weekly management staff meetings and production meetings to keep abreast of operational demands to effectively supervise the facility during evenings, weekends, and holiday operations. Holds weekly Night Operations staff meetings to communicate with staff concerning upcoming events, provide training opportunities, and professional development activities.
- Incumbent will perform other related duties to the Mountainlair Student Union operation as necessary and directed by the Assistant Director for Building Operations.
- Bachelor's degree required. Preferably within Business Administration, Social Sciences, or Liberal Arts or equivalent.
- Master's degree preferred. A professional confidence and maturity necessary to manage students. Familiarity with and basic understand of services, policies, regulations, resources, and business operations bearing on a student's success.
- One (1) year of prior experience working within a student union, residence hall, conference center, or related facility is preferred or any combination of education and/or experience.
- One (1) year of experience of oral and written communication skills.
- One (1) year of experience with ability to handle emergency situations.
- Administrative and executive ability to organize, direct, and determine appropriate action relating to the night activities and operations of a student union.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to supervise, train, and assign tasks to a large staff of student workers.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to react to different and often complex situations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Prior experience in developing and implementing training and leadership programs for college age students preferred.
- Familiarity with and basic understanding of services, policies, regulations, resources, and business operations bearing on the success of a student union or related business.
- Knowledge and experience in management theories.
- Knowledge working with all types of personalities.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Valid driver's license issued within the United States.
- First Aid/CPR/AED training (preferred so as to be able to train staff in these procedures).
On a daily basis:
- Must possess the stamina and agility necessary for frequent movement around the building. Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Ability to handle pressured situations without panic or physical discomfort.
- May occasionally lift up to 50lb objects.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.