Limited Term Adjunct Instructor (Pre-service Teacher Supervisor) (Part-Time & Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req5523
Department: Teachg Learning Sociocult Stds
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Department of Teaching, Learning, and Sociocultural Studies (TLS) announces a part-time, non-benefits eligible Limited Term Adjunct Instructor Pre-service Teacher Supervisor position for the Fall 2021or Spring 2022 semesters. We seek a candidate with experience as a Supervising Practitioner (cooperating teacher), administrator, instructional coach or other relevant P-12 work experience.
The Pre-service Teacher Supervisor is responsible for clinical supervision of student teachers/practicum students. Pre-service Teacher Supervisors observe pre-service teachers working with students and collaborating with their cooperating teachers/mentor either online or at their assigned schools. Pre-service Teacher Supervisors assess the pre-service teacher's ability to meet professional teaching standards. The Pre-service Teacher Supervisor will work under the guidance of faculty who are the Instructors of Record for the student teaching/practicum courses and attend periodic training and collaborative meetings with the Instructors of Record and/or Program Directors.
The ideal candidate should have (1) outstanding verbal and written communication skills, (2) demonstrated success driving results in the classroom, (3) the ability to collaborate with multiple partners and navigate varying interests, and (4) passion for education reform and serving high-need communities.
Please Note: Pay is based on the number of students supervised.
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct pre-service teacher observations in person or using remote technology and assess performance.
- Provide feedback to pre-service teachers and mentor teachers after observations.
- Provide written summaries of post-observation conferences to Instructor of Record and/or Program Director.
- Conduct an orientation meeting with pre-service student and mentor teacher to review expectations with regards to standards and communications.
- Conduct a mid-term and final assessments of pre-service teacher performance in collaboration with pre-service teacher and mentor using provided rubrics.
- Communicate regularly with University of Arizona faculty and staff regarding pre-service teacher performance and overall program quality.
- Periodically facilitate communication between pre-service teacher and mentor teacher either in person, three-way online or phone meetings.
- Monitor pre-service teacher's and mentor teacher's adherence to the gradual increase in pre-service teacher responsibilities, as defined by program requirements.
- Master's or Doctoral Degree in an Education related field.
- Experience as a classroom teacher, administrator, instructional coach or other relevant P-12 work experience.
- Background in both content and pedagogy.
- For those candidates who seek to be placed as secondary (grade 6-12) pre-service teacher supervisors, you must have a background in at least one of the supported content areas: English; World Languages; History; Political Science; Economics; Math; Science.
- Valid certification in content area.
- Experience coaching or mentoring beginning teachers.
- Experience in an ESL or bilingual setting.
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 7.20
Job FTE: .18
Work Calendar: Academic
Job Category: Teaching Faculty
Benefits Eligible: No Benefits
Rate of Pay: Contingent on Student Enrollment
Compensation Type: Contingent on Student Enrollment
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)
Number of Vacancies: 3
Contact Information for Candidates
Patricia Acosta, Project Coordinator
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and One Additional Document
Special Instructions to Applicant
Applicants must submit the following documents.
1. Cover Letter
2. Current Curriculum Vitae
3. In the Additional Document slot: Please add three letters of recommendation from individuals who have observed you working in a P-12 setting, observed you working with adult learners or who have observed you working in a supervisory role. If your recommendation providers would prefer to email their letters directly to the search committee, please have your recommendation providers send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.