Military Education Benefits Coordinator (UPDATED)
Posting Number: req5411
Department: Office of the Registrar
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Please note: This posting has been updated in its Display Job Title section.
The Military Connected Benefits and Certification team is seeking applicants for a Military Education Benefits Coordinator position to support the university's military connected students utilizing VA Education Benefits. The candidate will be expected to become a School Certifying Official (SCO) as part of this role.
The Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official provides guidance and knowledge to students so they are confident in making informed decisions about the use of their benefits. The coordinator will be expected to obtain detailed knowledge of VA policies and procedures related to G.I. Bill benefits. The coordinator will also be responsible for verifying enrollment through VA-Once and to ensure students receive timely VA payments. In addition, the coordinator will be responsible for assisting with processing Tuition Assistance benefits and being familiar with Department of Defense (DOD) requirements for use of this benefit. The VA School Certifying Official is responsible for participating in regular training and professional development to keep current on knowledge of laws and regulations that might affect the organization's policies specific to military education benefits.
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the academic record. Serving all students, faculty, academic units, and student support functions; the Office is charged with the implementation of academic and student policies and their alignment to state and federal regulations and accreditation standards. The Office strives to be a leader and thought partner in creating efficient processes that are designed in a way that supports student success and service excellence.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide academic counseling as it relates to the best use of VA Education benefits for military affiliated students.
- Educate military-affiliated students on rules of eligibility, personal responsibility, and UA processes.
- Promote positive working relationships with college advisors and faculty throughout campus.
- Process military affiliated student academic certifications through the use of the UA Academic Advisement Report, VA-Once and multiple DOD education portals.
- Assist military affiliated students with enrollment choices, ensuring that courses fit the student's GI Bill or Tuition Assistance requirements.
- Communicate with the School Certifying Official team through scheduled meetings.
- Assist with the veteran's orientation process.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, division and university goals and objectives.
- Additional duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of FERPA and ethical principles in working with students.
- Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solver
- Strong desire to help others
- High level of comfort with using multiple types of technology to complete position goals
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- At least one year of experience working directly with students.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or other student information system software.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 suite of tools.
- Demonstrated experience with GI Bill and Tuition Assistance rules and regulations.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Student Services
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $37,506
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Registration & Records
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.