Visiting Assistant Professor - Secondary Education (STEM)
Job Summary/Basic Function::
The Department of Secondary Education at SUNY Potsdam invites applications for a full-time visiting faculty position to support its secondary STEM (science, mathematics, and computer science) education programs.
Requirements of the position include:
1) An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in one of the STEM education related fields; ABD candidates may be considered;
2) At least three years of successful teaching in a PK-12 school setting;
3) We are seeking candidates who possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues and who have demonstrated a commitment to creating, fostering, and sustaining an inclusive environment in and out of the classroom.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Demonstrated excellence or potential for excellence in college STEM education teaching at the post-secondary level;
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in STEM-related education research;
- Experience with Computer Science Education in a PK-12 or higher education setting;
- Experience teaching and/or developing online courses;
- Experience with professional accreditation, specifically with CAEP;
- A demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in STEM education as evidenced by teaching, research, and service activities, such as experience or capacity to teach and mentor students from diverse backgrounds and advance the College's mission of equity and excellence;
- Demonstrated involvement in interdisciplinary STEM activities, professional organizations and professional development activities, and the effective use of technology in education.
- We are, especially, seeking candidates who have worked with, done research with, or taught under-represented groups and have worked collaboratively across various departments in fostering success of underrepresented groups..
Job Requirements & Essential Functions of the Job::
The successful faculty member will be responsible for supporting curricula and teaching courses for SUNY Potsdam's secondary STEM teacher education programs. The successful candidate will teach courses in middle and secondary STEM (science, mathematics, and computer science) education. Duties will include participating and providing leadership in inquiry- and field-based programs and scholarly work appropriate to rank.
This position offers a unique opportunity to engage in interdisciplinary and classroom-based teacher education research and pre-service teacher program development. It also provides numerous opportunities to develop collaborative projects with individuals involved in all aspects of K-16 STEM education with a focus on enhancing equity and inclusion in the field and in practice. Faculty may be asked to develop hybrid or on-line courses. The incumbent may be required to teach evening, weekend, off-site, and/or online courses.
Special Instructions to Applicants::
Please provide a list of three references with contact information, including email addresses.
Please provide a statement on the candidate's philosophy regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) within higher education.