Enterprise Risk Manager
Faculty Rank: No
Provide Rank: n/a
Position Number: 093491
Department: Office of General Counsel - 140000
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in insurance and risk management, business, public administration, or another related field.
- New graduates of insurance and risk management programs are encouraged to apply as this can be an excellent position to grow into.
- RIMS-Certified Risk Management Professional ( RIMS- CRMP) certification is preferred.
- Experience providing insurance services or risk management services for a college or university is also preferred.
- Experience reviewing insurance policies and/or processing insurance claims is a plus.
The primary purpose of the Enterprise Risk Manager is to provide oversight and facilitation of Appalachian's enterprise risk management program. This position reports directly to and will be an integral part of the Office of General Counsel.
Research, Analysis and Planning:
- Develop from complex research and analysis the overarching strategic plans and visions for Appalachian State University's enterprise risk management plan.
- Analyze current events and industry trends related to higher education risk management.
- Develop risk register and updated risk prioritization.
- Recommend institutional policies related to addressing risks.
Education, Compliance and Risk Mitigation:
- Provide oversight regarding all university-related risk management programs.
- Provide leadership with high-level presentations and reports at the request of the General Counsel.
- Facilitate a culture of compliance by updating the university's compliance calendar and providing oversight of campus units' adherence to dates on the compliance calendar.
- Directs the review and renewals of property and liability insurance coverage, maintains contractor and vendor insurance information, and suggests policy and coverage changes as deemed appropriate.
Consultation and Problem Solving:
- Monitor and validate risk measurement and valuation methodologies to ensure alignment of the university's risk management capabilities with its strategic vision and to balance both the risk and rewards of a proposed course of action or decision.
- Review risks/threats in key categories, such as finance, operations, regulatory/research compliance, reputational risk, employee relations, business conduct and ethics, hazard mitigation and business continuity.
Leadership and Technical Expertise:
- Develop and chair the Enterprise Risk Management Committee to provide oversight on risk issues.
- Facilitate the prioritization of risks and identification of risk owners, and develop and communicate risk reports to management.
- Develop and enable the university's organizational parts to manage, improve and grow the risk culture at all levels.
Appointment Type: 1.0
Mon-Fri, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: No
Suggested Salary Range: $75,000-$95,000 Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Posting Date: 06/02/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 07/01/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the required documents:
- Cover Letter
- List a minimum of 3 professional references in the application or attach a List of References with Contact Information
Search Chair Email
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.AA/EEO Statement
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Quick Link