Director of Operations - Track
The department of Athletics is seeking applications for a Director of Operations for Track. This position is responsible for performingall administrative functions and assisting the head coach in management of the daily operations of the track & field program.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Perform all administrative functions for the track & field program as assigned by the Head Track Coach and/or his designee.
- Assist the head coach in managing the day-to-day operation of the track & field office to ensure University, department and NCAA procedures, rules and regulations are executed.
- Assist the head coach in communication and follow-up with media relations, marketing, nutrition, sports medicine, equipment facilities, compliance and sport oversight on a daily basis.
- Assist with setting up meetings between athletes and coaches.
- Assist with oversight of student workers and ensure their tasks are completed.
- Assist the head coach in maintaining accurate roster information for WVU Track & Field.
- Ensure proper compliance paperwork is complete for unattached wrestlers competing in outside events.
- Assist the head coach in maintaining time management calendars, practice, and competition schedules.
- Assist the head coach in summer camp preparation, organization, and compliance regulations.
- Assist the head coach in home meet management, including but not limited to distributing meet information to participating teams and individuals, organization and placement of volunteers, officials and workers, meet schedule composition, and meet day operations.
- Assist the head coach in arranging, with athletic travel coordinator, all team and recruiting travel arrangements, including air and ground transportation, hotel accommodations and meals.
- Assist the head coach in preparing and submitting travel requisitions and reconciliations for submission to the athletics business office according to athletic department policies and procedures. Resolve problems as they arise. Maintain individual records for staff members review. Serve as source of information for explaining and updating all policies affecting this area.
- Help coordinate social media content and communications.
- Create and distribute monthly newsletter to alumni, student-athlete families and donors.
- Assist with organizing and distributing team equipment and gear while keeping accurate record of sizes for student-athletes and staff. Coordinate with athletics equipment unit to prepare orders as necessary.
- Assist the head coach with organizing and distributing team equipment and gear while keeping accurate record of sizes for student-athletes and staff. Coordinate with athletics equipment unit to prepare orders as necessary.
- Assist the head coach and staff with post season preparations including Big 12 Championship and NCAA Championship travel and schedule.
- Assist head coach in nomination selection information for season awards and distribution of awards.
- Assist the head coach in arranging recruiting visit details, including travel, team functions, ticket requests, and proper documentation of paperwork and reconciliation of expenses.
- Assist the head coach in completion of all incoming student-athlete on-boarding paperwork, tasks, and requirements.
- Perform all other job-related duties as assigned by the Head Track & Field Coach.
- Report directly to the Head Track & Field Coach; must also work closely with others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program.
Pay Grade: 17
- Bachelor's Degree in Sport Management or similar.
- One (1) year of previous experience in the sport of track & field or cross-country strongly preferred.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines, policies, rules and regulations with the ability to interpret, apply, enforce and explain such policies and rules.
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. student-athletes, professional representatives, fans, media, donors, University community.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Demonstrated knowledge of effected areas of involvement.
- Ability to make administrative procedural decisions and judgments.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer utilizing various word processing, desk publishing and accounting software and other standard office equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer video software programs.
- Lift boxes up to 20lbs - Rarely
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 2, 2021
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No