- Ensures high standards are consistently met via the implementation of all HUDS and University quality assurance policies and procedures related to food, sanitation, equipment and facility maintenance and management, safety, etc.
- Implement and monitor FoodPro menu and inventory management system including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Ensures all credit card and cash handling policies are followed (reconciling daily safe, MICROS deposits, credit card compliance is followed).
- Solicit, sell, plan and execute simple to complex catered events including, but not limited to conferences, campus-wide events and commencement week events.
- Responsible for developing, selecting catering menus in cost efficient, creative ways that meet the needs of the client.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with internal and external University stakeholders. Provide outstanding customer service and ensure specialty diets and other nutritional needs are met.
- Ensure kitchen equipment (i.e.: dishwasher, ovens, refrigeration, exhaust and ventilation systems) is operational. Submits necessary requests for repair if necessary.
- Ensure Unit's physical plant is organized and in good repair. This includes, but is not limited to: walls, ceilings, floors, storage and receiving areas, servery, kitchen space, dining rooms, etc. Submits requests for repair if necessary.
- Implement and manage Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs.
- Accountable for financial management of the Unit including developing and managing the annual operational budget which includes, but is not limited to management of MORS, estimation and management of food and labor cost goals, etc.
- Submit all invoices and PCard documentation per HUDS policy and procedure. Audit and review documents for accuracy prior to submission.
- Ensures all reporting is completed per University standards and all record-keeping is maintained in accordance with University policy.
- Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
Employee and Labor Management
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with front line service staff via regular meetings, two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the work unit.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved staffing pattern. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required.
- Ensures performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings.
- In consultation with Human Resources, imposes corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and HUDS Management, ensures employment practices are compliant with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement and all University personnel policy and procedures.
- Participates in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure Kronos timekeeping system is accurately and regularly maintained. Process timecards and absence requests in a timely manner and per HUDS policy and procedure. ¿¿¿
- Assist with the development and implementation of new policies, procedures and trainings.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Lead front-of-house and back-of-house operations
- Assign and direct the work of a team of exempt, hourly and temporary staff to ensure the delivery of excellent service, address staff performance and recommend/deliver corrective actions as needed
- Implement and monitor menu and inventory management systems including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Ensure kitchen equipment and the physical plant is operational and clean; submit necessary request for repair if necessary
- Implement dining hall opening and closing procedures
- Solicit, sell, plan and execute catered events; develop and select catering menus in cost efficient, creative ways that meet the needs of the client
- Lead and perform administrative duties, including inventory, payroll, budgeting, calendars, documentation, and ordering supplies
- Lead the development and implementation of relevant trainings to increase knowledge and ability of waiters, cooks and other kitchen staff
- Ensure high standards are consistently met with regard to quality assurance related to food, sanitation, equipment, facility maintenance and management and safety
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 7 years' relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality Management or related field 5-7 years of high volume, fast paced, multiple food concepts management experience.
- Strong record of business acumen including financial and human resource management.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Ability to lead, manage and work collaboratively with large teams of exempt professionals.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills, and accountability.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound business decisions.
- Skilled at addressing a variety of situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- A passion for food and knowledge of current food trends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and applications as needed.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
- Experience managing multiple work units.
- Previous experiencing managing a University dining services operation.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
- Position frequently involves long hours and widely diverse duties
- Must be able to lift (approximately 20 to 30 pounds), bend, stoop and perform other physical exertion
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise
- Standing and walking for significant amounts of time is necessary
Emergency Status Designation: Essential Personnel
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.Job Function
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
Y0058M FD Food Services Mgt IV
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.