Security Guards at Virginia Tech provide security for a diverse University community and provide support to the Police Department in the prevention and detection of criminal activity. Responsibilities include: locking and unlocking university buildings at prescribed times and as requested; continuous patrol of buildings and grounds on foot, bicycle, or vehicle; reporting safety and security deficiencies; identifying suspicious activities within the campus and handling appropriately; responding to varying situations tactfully while conveying a professional image; reporting criminal activity to law enforcement officers; communicating via two-way radio; completing daily reports and incident reports; providing escorts for visitors, employees, and students upon request; adhering to all criteria established for a Nationally Accredited Police Department. In the performance of the above duties, the security guard position requires a considerable amount of walking, climbing, carrying and lifting and reporting for work in adverse weather conditions. All positions require night, shift, and weekend work. Security Officers may be subpoenaed by court and must be able to give credible testimony.
- Demonstrated experience involving public contact.
- Experience keeping records and/or logs including demonstrated attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to observe patrolled areas for security violation safety hazards and handle stressful situations with emotional control and conduct mediation in a diplomatic manner.
- Must maintain compliance with all DCJS Campus Security Officer Regulations and all Department and University policies and procedures.
- Result oriented with demonstrated ability to follow through, make informed decisions, complete tasks and problem-solve.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse department and University community.
- Ability to give credible court testimony.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as walking considerable distances and up and down stairs, ladders, etc.
- Ability to work in varied environmental conditions.
- Ability to maintain reasonably regular, punctual attendance.
See other for additional employment requirements and conditions.
Must currently possess or successfully obtain the following within 180 days of hire:
- DCJS Campus Security Officer Certification
- Security Officer Training Program which includes driver and personal defense training
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- FEMA's ICS-100.HE Certification
- Security work experience and/or physical security and protection of assets training.
- Previous emergency services experience including fire and rescue.
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Previous military experience.
- Experience using radio communications equipment.
Alternate work schedule-Rotating Shifts, primarily evenings, nights, and weekends. Must have a criminal background check. Must have a driver's license check, Emergency Personnel-weather related, Emergency Personnel-facilities related, Emergency Personnel health &; safety related, Candidates for employment are required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screening. Incumbents are subject to random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol screening, Subject to random drug screening and in accordance with department policy. Successful completion of a psychological assessment is required.
- Security Guard position requires a considerable amount of walking, climbing, carrying and lifting and reporting for work in adverse weather conditions.
- This position is designated safety sensitive. Candidates for employment are required to have a criminal history check, including fingerprinting and a pre-employment drug screen. Incumbents are subject to random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol screening.
- Must be U.S. citizen or legal resident eligible under United States law for employment in the United States.
- Must undergo an extensive background check and credit history check, with satisfactory results.
- Must be a high school graduate or able to furnish documentary evidence of equivalency degree.
- Must be at least 18 years of age on date of hire.
- Must currently possess a valid driver's license by his or her state of residence, or be able to obtain it within 30 days of employment.
- Successful completion of a psychological assessment is required.
Visit police.vt.edu for details on above employment conditions.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.