Vice President of Finance and Administration
Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the nation’s leading academic institutions for natural medicine. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed practitioners and leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. Progressive graduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines are offered both on campus and online. The on-site Natural Care Center offers compassionate and affordable healthcare provided by clinical student interns in University Teaching Clinics and from highly skilled faculty practitioners. For staff and faculty, MUIH offers a collaborative and vibrant work environment that is mission and values-driven.
The Vice President has primary responsibility for accounting and financial management, budgeting, strategic planning, treasury functions, billing and collections, audits, and business services. The Vice President oversees and provides leadership and supervision for Finance, Business Services including the Meeting Point, Herbal Dispensaries, Facilities, and Institutional Research and Effectiveness.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Developing financial operating reports, such as annual plans, forecasts, and periodic reviews and updates, reviewing and analyzing these reports for trends and performance against goals
- Gathering business performance data, analyzing and comparing it to previous periods, and developing recommendations for improvements in revenue growth or resource allocation
- Compiling and reporting monthly and annual financial statements
- Developing and overseeing operational and capital budgets, reviewing continually for performance
- Supervising all audits regarding the University’s finances
- Overseeing business services, facilities operations, and institutional research and effectiveness departments
- Leading strategic planning for responsible departments and active involvement in compiling and enhancing the University’s Strategic Plan
- Managing the cash flow of the University
- Managing the investments of the University
- Supervising the billing and collection of tuition
- Ensuring that MUIH is compliant with all state and federal regulations concerning financial aid and supervising all audits in that area
- Managing the University’s debt portfolio and relations with banks and other lenders
- Providing required reports to banks and other lenders
- Examining governmental regulations as well as investment and industry standards to ensure compliance
- Leading staff by developing and monitoring of goals and objectives for subordinate divisions and reviewing performance of subordinates
- Ensuring customer service and work quality expectations are defined and met, striving for best practices and innovations
- Working with the President/CEO to develop new sources of revenue where possible and to increase the efficiency of current programs
- Working productively with committees of the Board of Trustees, including the Finance and Audit Committee, making sure to keep the Board well-informed in all areas for the highest quality decision-making
- Planning and leading improvement initiatives in all assigned areas
- Reviewing memorandums of understanding with outside organizations
- Coordinating activities with outside legal counsel
- Serves on the President’s Executive Council
- Serves on University committees as appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and CPA certification or Master’s degree (finance, business, or related field)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with at least two years in higher education
- A strong understanding of finance and accounting software packages
- CPA certification
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated administrative and management skills, along with strong leadership skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong initiative and ability to devise solutions to complex problems and effectively manage multiple long and short term strategies, programs, and objectives.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds of students
- Appreciation of and commitment to MUIH values
Accounting/Finance/Student Accounts Department, Business Services, Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.