Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the nation’s leading academic institutions for natural medicine. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed practitioners and leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. Progressive graduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines are offered both on campus and online. The on-site Natural Care Center offers compassionate and affordable healthcare provided by clinical student interns in University Teaching Clinics and from highly skilled faculty practitioners. For staff and faculty, MUIH offers a collaborative and vibrant work environment that is mission and values-driven.
MUIH is seeking a dedicated, customer-service oriented reference Librarian to work on a part-time basis at the Sherman Cohn Library. The Librarian is responsible for opening, closing and staffing the library’s circulation/information service desk during the library’s service hours and providing excellent customer service for circulation and reference services. The Librarian will assist patrons in the use of library resources, provide reference assistance, provide scheduled and on-the-fly reference appointments to on-site and remote users, and will participate in project work as assigned.
The working hours for this position will be distributed among the library’s service hours, Monday-Saturday, 10:30am-4pm and may include working remotely.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Opening, closing and staffing the library’s circulation/information service desk
- Providing circulation and reference assistance, as well as scheduled and on-the-fly reference appointments in person, by telephone, and electronically via screen sharing, chat, email, or Microsoft Teams
- Instructing students in finding, evaluating, and using print and electronic library resources
- Collaborating with colleagues to create online tutorials, videos, and other instructional materials
- Serving as an instructional/embedded librarian in academic classes
- Participating in the course revision process for the University’s information literacy course
- Assisting users with Copyright compliance and usage of the APA style
- Participating in print and electronic collection and library services development
- Assisting in troubleshooting electronic resources
- Compiling assessment reports as required
- Engaging in tasks to maintain the library and the collection (shelve, shelf-read, process books, etc.)
- Exploring and recommending best practices and new technologies that enhance reference services and electronic resources access
- With the community culture in mind, employee will serve on committees as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Qualifications
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science
- 2-3 years of experience working in libraries providing reference assistance
- Demonstrated reliability, responsibility, punctuality, and ability to adhere to work schedule
- Strong customer-oriented approach to service
- Knowledge of and the ability to operate Innovative Interface’s Sierra integrated library system or a comparable ILS, LibGuides, various online library resources, and a copier/scanner/printer
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office applications
- 1-2 years of experience working in college or university libraries providing reference assistance
- Experience with discovery services, link resolvers, A-Z List, and authentication services
- Experience troubleshooting access to electronic resources (databases, online journals, etc.)
- A demonstrated familiarity with complementary, alternative, and integrative health and wellness or with the academic programs at MUIH
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- Willingness to learn new software applications
- Ability to conduct research
- Great attention to detail
- Handle confidential information
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Capacity to meet the physical demands of the job, including, but not limited to: lifting up to 30 pounds, bending, stretching, stooping, kneeling, reaching, climbing, and sitting or standing for long periods of time.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.