Assistant Research Professor
Job Number: REQ_0000014396
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Pennsylvania State University's College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST) seeks an Assistant Research Professor to join an interdisciplinary team investigating practices, experiences and infrastructures for collaboration and innovation. The team is led by John M. Carroll. This is a full time, fixed-term 12-month, non-tenure track position with a possibility of renewing dependent upon performance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and conduct design research, field studies, and laboratory experiments addressing new kinds of support for collaborative and community activities and experiences
- Help supervise graduate and undergraduate research students
- Teach one course per year in the College of Information Sciences and Technology
The Assistant Research Professor should possess a terminal degree or its equivalent in Computer Science, Information Science, HCI or related field. Alternatively, a candidate who will be receiving their terminal (Ph.D.) degree by 15 August 2021 may be considered for this position.
- Experience-centered design, participatory design, usability evaluation, and ethnographic field methods, as well as social computing and community informatics
- Software design, programming, and database expertise in developing web and mobile applications
- Enthusiasm for communicating research results at scientific conferences and in academic journals
- Desire to work in an interdisciplinary team developing computer technologies and applications
- Engagement with and gathering data from users and other stakeholders
The College of IST is strongly committed to a diverse community and to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for faculty, staff and students of all races, genders, and backgrounds. The College of IST is committed to making good faith efforts to recruit, hire, retain, and promote qualified individuals from underrepresented minority groups including women, persons of color, diverse gender identities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. We invite applicants to address their engagement in or commitment to inclusion, equity, and diversity issues as they relate to broadening participation in the disciplines represented in the college as well as aligning with the mission of the College of IST in a separate statement.
For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All application materials should be uploaded at the same time at the time of application. Applicants should include with their application:
Cover letter describing qualifications
Names and contact information of 3 professional references.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
The Pennsylvania State University is the land grant institution of Pennsylvania. University Park is the largest of Penn State's 24 campuses, with undergraduate enrollment of approximately 44,000 students and offering more than 150 programs of graduate study. The campus is located in State College PA, ranked the 3rd safest metropolitan area in the United States by CQ Press, and the 8th best college town in the nation by Best College Reviews. The College of IST has award-winning faculty and state-of-the-art facilities. Both faculty and students are dedicated to collaboration and applying knowledge to make human lives better.