Medical Research Specialist
Location: Covington, LA
Manage day-to-day operation of the Unit of Collaborative Research (UCR) laboratory. Responsible for preparation, collection, and maintenance of project samples in biosafety level 2 and 3 laboratories. All tasks will be completed in accordance with the Standard Operating Protocols (SOPs) in place. Adequate training in these aspects will be provided by the investigator.
The Medical Research Specialist also conducts research analysis and prepares reports, manages daily operational functions of the laboratory, maintains experimental records, orders and keeps track of laboratory specimens, supplies and inventory, contributes to publication research and development activities, as well as monitors work performance of lab assistants and student researchers as assigned. Ensures OSHA, Biosafety and University medical, safety and training requirements are met for the laboratory.
This position has job duties that require accessing the BSL3 containment areas. There will be additional minimum requirements including some or all of the following:
- Must obtain and maintain clearance of a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins.
- Must pass a medical respiratory physical to wear respiratory protection.
- Must participate in and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policy. This is necessary at the time of beginning employment and at any time afterwards. Employment is contingent upon successful compliance with this policy at all times.
- Specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents
- Previous experience with ELISA, PCR, Western Blot, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, tissue culture and flowcytometry
- Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and operation of computer systems
- Ability to understand and use database programs
- Proven ability to perform data assessment reporting and provide accurate data entry.
- Familiarity with standard electronic office machines (phones, fax, copiers, etc.)
- Proven ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Depending on agent specific risk assessments individuals maybe offered, or in some cases required to have vaccinations against the relevant agents.
- Bachelor's Degree in a biological science (biology, zoology, microbiology, pathobiology, molecular biology)
- 3 years of directly related experience
- Business courses/business certification
- Proficiency/experience with Tulane systems and programs.
- Previous data entry and/or scheduling experience.
This position is assigned to pay grade P2.25. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that
you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane
as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our
Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
How to Apply:
Click "Apply Now" to apply for this job.
This position will close onthe date it is filled
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.