Director of Human Resources
Director of Human Resources
Laguna College of Art + Design, is seeking a full-time experienced Director of Human Resources. The College is located in an internationally recognized arts colony in Laguna Beach, California and offers a diversity of majors in Animation, Graphic Design and Digital Media, Fine Art, Game Art, Illustration and Entertainment Design.
The Director Human Resources has overall responsibility for the HR function including new hire selection and on-boarding, payroll, compensation and benefits administration, training and development, implementation and administration of human resources programs and policies, employee relations, management support with conflict resolution, record-keeping, workers’ compensation and safety issues, workforce development and compliance with HR laws and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and administers various human resources policies and procedures aligning with LCAD’s strategic plan while adhering to and actively participating in LCAD’s diversity, equity, and inclusion program.
- Plans, organizes, and controls activities for the department. Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems
- Implements and updates compensation program; writes job descriptions; conducts annual salary surveys, analyzes compensation; implements and monitors performance review program and revises as necessary
- Develops, recommends, and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures; performs benefits administration to include annual re-evaluation of policies for cost effectiveness
- Coordinates with Department Managers the recruitment effort of staff, faculty and student workers, writes and places job posts and conducts interviews. Conducts the new-hire orientation and on-boarding process.
- Conducts employee relations consulting and investigations, works with managers to establish consistent management practices
- Evaluates HR department needs, makes adjustments and decisions based on department established goals and sets new goals
- Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures relating to continuous improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Develops and implements companywide training program
- Oversees the HR Manager and the payroll administration process
- Creates, maintains and implements company Injury Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Hazard Communication Program, Emergency Response and Evacuation Plan, Fire Prevention Plan and Workers Compensation Program.
- Proactively maintains compliance with HR laws and regulations
- Establishes and maintains department records, required reports and document retention
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Position Requirements, Experience and Education
Qualifications to perform this job successfully: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful candidate must possess a user-centered attitude and a desire to work in a team-oriented environment that serves a diverse population.
- A bachelor's degree and 7-10+ years of Human Resources Management or Director experience or appropriate combination of education and experience
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification or equivalent preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated experience with diversity, equity and inclusion programs and issues
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a culturally competent professional with broad experience interacting with and supporting the needs of a diverse student population and/or staff and faculty
- Possesses a collaborative accessible leadership style
- Self-motivated, focused, positive attitude and proactive
- Ability to multi-task and work in fast-paced, demanding environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical and planning skills
- Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Word and Excel software programs preferred (or equivalent). HRIS and payroll programs preferred.
- Strong managerial abilities problem solving - identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to develop strong relationships with all levels of employees and management
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Experience in the Education industry a plus
- Must be able to drive personal vehicle for business purposes and must pass DMV background check and have minimum insurance requirements as set by LCAD
Physical Essential Functions
Sitting, keyboarding, may lift up to 20 lbs. without assistance, grasping, pulling, pushing, reaching, and moving from one place to another. This position takes place indoors in an office environment sitting at a desk and working in front of a computer. Occasional bending, stooping, and squatting.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Benefits, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick and Paid Holidays, Life Insurance/AD&D, Long Term Disability, LCAD Tuition Benefit, among other benefits. Waiting period may apply.
Full time position; salary commensurate with experience. Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.