Conference and Events Planner II
Posting Number: req5289
Department: James C Wyant Coll Optical Sci
Location: Main Campus
Address: 1630 E University Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Position HighlightsThe James C Wyant College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona is seeking applicants to fill a Senior Events Coordinator (Conference and Events Planner II) position.
The Senior Events Coordinator is responsible for providing broad logistical support for a wide range of student, faculty, and external stakeholder events for the college. The position requires strong communications skills and experience interfacing professionally with internal and external event support units, making and documenting complex arrangements with event leaders and attendees, and being dynamically responsive to ensure event success and a positive attendee experience.
The position also includes support for a number of Academic Programs office functions and student-centric operations to aid in student recruitment, retention, content delivery.
Position requires flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and use of personal vehicle required for errands.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Arrange all aspects of events such as scheduling, marketing and announcements, catering orders, facility rentals, setup & cleanup, security, staffing, event sequencing logistics, technical, a/v and equipment needs, and other special needs for numerous Wyant College of Optical Sciences, Academic Programs, and community events including: Industrial Affiliates Workshop (bi-annual), Graduate Recruitment Weekend, New Graduate Student Orientation, Optical Sciences Pre-Commencement Ceremony and Reception (bi-annual), Optics and Photonics Winter School and Workshop (annual), bi-weekly Community Speaker Series and other student group activities, special presentations, conferences, workshops, building tours, social events both on and off campus, including holiday events, outreach events, and college picnics.
- Arrange online-only and hybrid in-person/online events and meetings, requiring proficiency with online applications such as Zoom, working closely with the College's Media Specialist, and serving as host for online events as needed.
- Serve as primary College coordinator for College participation in off-site events, particularly for arranging College booths at professional society conferences and trade shows. This responsibility may require occasional travel.
- Serve as a primary interface between students/student groups and Academic Programs/College for regular and special events. This includes disseminating and collecting student information and requests, such as recruitment materials, and other workshop or event materials as needed.
- Maintain the Academic Programs Master Calendar, conference room reservations and visitor parking arrangements.
- File, post, copy, maintain informational flyers and packets; maintain office supplies, event inventory, equipment and storage.
- Position requires flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and use of personal vehicle required for errands.
Student Recruiting and Retention Support
- Provides support for and participates in undergraduate and graduate student recruitment activities, including promoting the College and the College's academic programs at local and off-site events with booth or table presence such as career fairs and conferences.
- Provides support for and helps maintain student-oriented social media and other online applications and online activity on behalf of the College and Academic Programs.
- Develop, suggest, and support new recruiting events for undergraduate and graduate students, including internal events, external events, materials and logistics for faculty and student travel to highlight College programs.
- Applies experience to suggest and develop improvements to established recruiting events including Optics and Photonics Winter School and Workshop, Graduate Recruitment Weekend, Conference booths, and Undergraduate Open House.
- Responsible for providing and participating in strategies on outreach activities and initiatives for College and external stakeholders, including students, prospective students, and industrial affiliates.
Academic Programs Office and Distance Learning Support
- Backup support to the Office Assistant and Academic & Career Advisors with a variety of tasks including: front office management by triaging telephone calls and walk-in inquiries by guests, faculty, staff and students; mail pick-up/date stamp and distribution; library maintenance support; announcement of class cancellations; support with student registration, student job services and undergraduate audits as needed.
- Oversight of the student Optics Ambassadors program.
- Processes UA accounts payable, purchase orders, purchase card orders, travel, IBF's etc. via on-line and hardcopy systems and maintains fiscal accuracy of expenses.
Lecture videos up to four (4) hours/week utilizing video recording equipment.
Training will be provided.
- Emergency backup recording for Media Specialist as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field; or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Position requires flexible work schedule, including some evenings
and weekends, and use of personal vehicle required for errands.
- Experience with managing social media accounts.
- Experience with online applications such as Zoom.
- Experience with video recording equipment operation.
- Experience with UA accounts payable, purchase orders, purchase card orders, travel, IBF's.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.00
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Conference & Events
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.